UPB members host Singles Awareness Day event

Jaye Surles, Dallas Wabbington, Desireè Harris and Alexis Osborne crafting at SAD event in Legacy Multipurpose Room.

University Programming Board members hosted a free event on Friday, Feb. 15 — Singles Awareness Day, an opportunity for students to socialize.

Who planned the event?

Dallas Wabbington, English sophomore, and Desireè Harris, biology junior, have both been leaders of the UPB for one year. Together, Wabbington and Harris plan events with “low budget to no budget.”

Harris said the goal of the UPB is to bring students together to mingle on campus.

“We really just try and promote kids to stay on campus and be more social,” Harris said.

What is SAD?

SAD or Single’s Awareness Day is the day following Feb. 14, Valentine’s Day. Wabbington said everyone can celebrate the holiday and enjoy each other’s company.

“Feb. 15 is national discount chocolate day, but it’s also Single’s Awareness Day. I myself am not single, but I wanted to put on this event for students who didn’t have anyone to spend Valentine’s Day with,” Wabbington said.

Harris said she believed it was important to provide for students, predominantly singles, an opportunity to socialize together.

“Everybody has something to do for couples on Valentine’s Day, but there is nothing to do for singles,” Harris said.

How much did the event cost?

Because the UPB receives funding from the school, the event budget was under the control of both Harris and Wabbington. With a yearly budget of $1,000, Wabbington allotted roughly $150 to the SAD event.

How do you celebrate?

More than 20 students attended the SAD event where they participated in a variety of celebratory events. Candy bouquets, cookie decorations and “mock-tails” were just a few of the options for students to partake in. Kaden Loep, biology freshman said, her favorite part of the event was decorating her own personal mirror.

“I’m enjoying painting the mirror because you can put something super inspirational on it and look at every day. It’s a super creative idea,” Loep said.

Why is the event important?

Harris said the goal of the SAD event was to promote self-love and self-confidence.

“We want to celebrate being single and promote self-love. You don’t have to be with someone. You can love yourself and still take that energy and be happy,” Harris said.  “People often think that if you’re single you don’t have worth. So hopefully we can help people be more self-confident and be happy with themselves.”

Wabbington said she believes it’s important for students to know that happiness can be achieved regardless of status.

“I just hope students realize they don’t need a significant other to be happy. They don’t need someone else to enjoy themselves,” Wabbington said. “If they enjoy themselves then they shouldn’t have to worry about not being with someone on Valentine’s Day.”