Nolita Isbelle, nursing, waves to friends and family before walking the stage at the graduation ceremony on Dec. 15. Photo by Brittni Vilandre

Brittni Vilandre

762 degrees awarded at fall graduation

December 15, 2018

• Marketing, Courtney Waldron fixes grauation cap before the ceremony on Dec. 15.

• Harry Hewitt, professor of history, and Don Maxwell, professor of music, talk in the green room before graduation. As the two longest-serving faculty members, they carried maces and led the faculty at gradution.

• Graduation Narrator Ann Arnold-Ogden looks over students names before the Fall 2018 Graduation ceremony starts on Dec. 15 at the MPEC. Photo by Jared Bruner

Jared Bruner

• Islam Sbeigh, criminal justice, has a laugh with friends before preparing for the graduation ceremony on Dec. 15.

• Natalie Perez, education, signs in to begin preparing for the graduation ceremony on Dec. 15.

• Flora Huizar helps Brianna Davis at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. "I was proud of my job and nursing isn't easy," Dans said. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Haleigh Camerlin, nursing, smiles and poses as she takes a selfie with friends before the graduation ceremony on Dec. 15.

• Professor of Art Catherine Prose and Associate Professor Dr. Ann Marie Leimer pose for the camera before the Fall 2018 Graduation ceremony on Dec. 15 in the MPEC

• Amy Allen, a master's student in radiological sciences, takes a group selfie before gradauation at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. "Our class, all of us are extremely close," Allen said. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Brandi Hobson who completed her bachelor of science degree works on her mortar board before graduation. Hobson said she wanted to be a coach and PE teacher. Her hat sported "many tears later" from Sponge Bob Square Pants. "It's a great show," she said. "He makes me laugh and relieve stress." Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Jacob Warren adjusts his hat before grdaution at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Cathy Lynn Quintero-McElroy adds honor cords to Claire Fowler at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Quintero-McElroy said she just got out of the hospital after a splinter in her finger that she got while putting up the Christmas tree got infected. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Hats from students in nursing at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Cameron McEnturff walks over to the graduation ceremony from Yeager Coliseum at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Harry Hewitt, professor of history, and Don Maxwell, professor of music lead the faculty into the coliseum to begin the graduation ceremony on Dec. 15.

• Martin Majewski, nursing, stands along side fellow graduates as they enter the coliseum for the graduation ceremony on Dec. 15.

• Ricinda Parks-Turner's hat at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Graduates stand and listen as they wait for the graduation ceremony to begin on Dec. 15.

• Chris Hansen, associate professor of chemistry, receives the Faculty Award from Laura Fidelie at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Associate Chemistry Professor Chris Hansen is given the 2018 faculty award by Dr. Laura Fidelie during the Fall 2018 Graduation ceremony on Dec. 15 at the MPEC. Photo by Jared Bruner

Jared Bruner

• Valarie McCubbins says, "Don't bury the lead" while talking as the commencement speaker at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. "There are no rules," she said. "There are all those unspoken rules we all think exist, but they don't. Life isn't scripted. I threw out the script I had for my life." Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Valarie McCubbins speaks to graduates as she gives the commencement speech to begin the graduation ceremony on Dec. 15.

• Cheering for Sharon Izedonmi, Nelly Nwosu, Lyn Shirley Murombo and Chiddy Ezeanyagu also take pictures at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Cameron McEnturff, business administration, poses for his picture at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Alexander Mullet, business administration, poses for his portrait at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Jacob Turnbow, fine arts, shakes University President Suzanne Shipley's hand at graduation, Dec. 18, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Chris Norrie, education, at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Catherine Ryan, general business, waves to her family after recieving her diploma at the graduation ceremony on Dec. 15.

• Nolita Isbelle, nursing, waves to friends and family before walking the stage at the graduation cermony on Dec. 15.

• Board of Regents member Oku Okeke shakes hands at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Jackie Zeizinger sings the Alma Mater with her fellow graduates during the Fall 2018 Graduation ceremony on Dec. 15 at the MPEC. Photo by Jared Bruner

Jared Bruner

• Rachel Nnami and Claudette Muna, both of whom received President's Medals and had 4.0 GPAs, shoot video during the singing of the alma mater at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Adam Sutton, education, moves his tassle at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

• Harry P. Hewitt, professor and chair of the history department, leads the faculty out of graduation at Midwestern State University graduation Dec. 15, 2018. Hewitt is retiring as the longest-serving faculty after 51 years. Photo by Bradley Wilson

With excitement pumping and futures to look forward to, 762 students walked across the stage Dec. 15 at the Kay Yeager Coliseum. Eleven graduates received President’s Medals, and all but one had perfect 4.0 GPAs.

DATE | Dec. 15, 2018

LOCATION | Kay Yeager Coliseum

SPEAKER | Valarie McCubbins, Mass Communication

FACULTY AWARD RECIPIENT | Christopher Hansen, associate professor of chemistry

COMMENTS FROM THE GRADUATES

“I have made a really good group of friends starting freshman year. It kinda progressed because their friends came up to MSU so they had graduated before I was done but their friends came up so I always had constant friends. It’s been really fun (that). I got to have a college experience I’d have never expected to have, and I got to be a part of a fraternity [Sigma Nu].” | Adam Sutton, sports and leisure studies, business

“Probably (my favorite part of college was) just the campus life and everyone here, like the friends that I’ve made throughout my four years here. It’s going to be sad to see us part but overall it’ll be fun to see where life takes us. I honestly don’t know [what my plans are after graduation]. I’m working back home now.” | Courtney Waldron, marketing

“All my friends are here really, all the relationships I’ve built. I’m not going to miss classes too much but I’m glad I did decide to come here after all. I decided to take this journey by myself which is awesome. God has just led people in front of me, and he sent people in front of me that really helped me grow. ” | Tanner Conley, business and economics

“The one thing I’m going to miss the most about MSU is the staff. They want to see you succeed, and that’s the thing I like. You need good teachers, good staff and an all-around positive campus to help promote positivity to further student leadership and that’s what some do”. | John Smith, psychology

“I think the community (was my favorite part of college). I was an A-Team member, so I gave tours around campus so I think I’ll remember just being able to show prospective students how great our campus is. Our campus is beautiful.” | Kaylee Lahnstein, education

“Through my experience with residential life and housing, especially this year, since we had a lot of international students move on campus. We tried to make our program as diverse as possible to try to get them immersed in the American culture, and I think that’s what I”ll miss most about MSU, just my time working with residential life and housing.” | Kishma Alexander, master’s in education

“I mean, everything about MSU is fun. The experience, the moving away from home, starting a new life, getting engaged and starting a job. I guess the one thing I’ll miss the most is the people; the students I’ve met, all the different professors, all the different faculty and administration and the fact that everyone helped everyone get to where we are today” said Lacey. “The one thing I’ll remember the most is getting engaged here at MSU, and also I’ve created a family here. Half of them are going to be in the wedding party and the rest are just going to grow up and have kids so it’s really the family unit of it” said Brown.| Engaged mass communication and psychology couple Treston Lacey and Jazmin Brown

“I would make more mistakes. I was so honed in on my path, and [what] I wanted to do, that I never went outside.  So I think if I tried different things, even if I wasn’t good at those things, I would still [have] broadened my horizons, I could have experienced more things than what I’m here for now.” | Whitney Atkinson, English 

“I don’t know if it’s being a Delta, being an RA, being in SGA. I’ve had so many opportunities here. It helped me to develop as a person so I can’t even pick my favorite thing. It’s been so much over four years. This is crazy. To my freshman self, (I’d say) don’t chase these young men without goals. Do better.” | Jaylon Williams, sociology

“The classes that helped me prepare for my future, that’ll be the most memorable part of MSU. I learned a lot which is good. I met good people and met good classmates that could help me.” | Markell Braxton-Johnson, sports and leisure studies

“The professors, and the great friendships that I’ve made (will be the thing I remember the most). It’s probably the interaction that you get with the faculty is incomparable compared to any other university. I’ll be going to Spain now in January for a job and then to Africa with the same company and then start my grad school as well.” | Luka Gebel, economics

DEGREES

• Master’s | 178
  • Bachelor’s | 584
  • Associate’s | 0

BY COLLEGE

• Dillard College of Business of Administration | 120
  • Gordon T. And Ellen West College of Education | 147
  • Lamar B. Fain College of Fine Arts | 18
  • Robert D. And Carol Gunn College of Health Sciences and Human Services | 349
  • Prothro-Yeager College of Humanities and Social Sciences | 61
  • McCoy College of Science, Mathematics and Engineering | 67

By DEGREES

• Master of Business Administration | 21
  • Master of Arts Education | 4
  • Master of Education | 41
  • Master of Arts in Criminal Justice | 11
  • Master of Arts Humanities | 6
  • Master of Health Administration | 6
  • Master of Science in Exercise Physiology | 8
  • Master of Science in Nursing | 41
  • Master of Science in Radiologic Sciences | 24
  • Master of Science | 16
  • Bachelor of Science | 347
  • Bachelor of Business Administration | 99
  • Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences | 73
  • Bachelor of Arts | 53
  • Bachelor of Social Work | 6
  • Bachelor of Fine Arts | 5
  • Bachelor of Music | 1

Source: Midwestern State University commencement program

CORRECTIONS:

In this story about fall graduation we misspelled the name of Christopher Hansen. The Wichitan apologizes for the error. In addition, an earlier version of this story incorrectly listed the total number of master’s and bachelor’s degrees. The numbers are now correct according to the commencement program.

1 Comment

One Response to “762 degrees awarded at fall graduation”

1. jeremy skelton on December 15th, 2018 9:38 pm

i was wondering if the interview that i gave while waiting to walk from the IMPEC to the Kay Yeager Building was saved? if so i would like to receive a copy of it

Jeremy Skelton
    graduate of Criminal Justice Minor in General Business

The Wichitan • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in