Intramural basketball tournament kicks off finals week

EDITOR’S NOTE: According to Michael Richardson, assistant director of recreational sports, the intramural basketball tournament, mentioned in this article has been canceled. “We have canceled the 3-on-3 tournament today due to our obligation to help with Finals Frenzy,” Richardson said.

Finals week begins on Dec. 8, and Robert Mackey, a fine arts sophomore, said, there is no better way to destress than by participating in or watching an intramural basketball tournament. The staff at the Wellness Center will be hosting a 3-on-3 basketball tournament on Dec. 6, on the basketball courts in the Wellness Center.

Robert Mackey, an art sophomore, said, “Watching the basketball tournament isn’t cool only because I get to watch my friends compete in sports they like, but it also helps me keep my mind occupied on something other than studying for finals.”

Students thought the process of entering into IMS was fairly easy.

Bruno Azevedo, a history junior, said, “Usually signing up for something like this would be frustrating, but it was actually very straight-forward and simple. The staff at the Wellness Center was also very helpful with the whole process of signing up.”

The Wellness Center staff encourages students to bring friends and family to watch.

“The bigger the crowd, the better,” Taylor Brintzenhoff, a psychology senior and event organizer at the Wellness Center said. “Intramural sports are a great way for students to relax and just forget about finals coming up. We have it set up so that the students can have fun and enjoy competing with each other. It’s a warm environment and we encourage everyone to take part and attend.”

The tournament is single- or double-elimination style, depending on how many teams participate, with teams consisting of three to six players each. The winning players receive T-shirts.

Deadline to sign up: Dec. 6, register here

Rules and structure of tournament published on mows wellness center website