• S

SUGFeb 12, 2013 at 4:11 PM

So I guess we talking “Gay Blood” now huh?

Reply
  • T

TrevorFeb 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

The exact same thing happened to me when I was in high school. I was greatly disappointed at the situation and actually went to school officials asking for more background and history on the issue. They weren’t able to help much but I understand were they are generally coming from. I still to this day get upset when they ask me to go donate and I just have to walk by and say “I can’t… I’m gay.” It’s very upsetting. I wish I had the opportunity to have an impact on someones life so deep as this.

Reply
  • M

Marnie ReynoldsFeb 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM

The Red Cross did not come up with this law, but the federal government did back in the 1980’s when AIDS first came out; It was called GRID (Gay-Related Immune Deficiency). It is going to take courageous men and women to have this policy outlawed; men like Daryl Smith. I say good for you Daryl! It’s going to take time, but it can be done. You should try to get it published on the HuffingtonPost.com. This story would get more publicity and insight outrage with the public which could help get this law overturned. Huffington Post reports many stories on civil rights issues such as gay marriage and women’s equality.

Reply
  • S

SaraFeb 6, 2013 at 2:29 PM

This isn’t an issue involving the university itself. The FDA implemented this rule back in the 1980s. This is simply the organization following the rules. Is it messed up? Yes. But we can’t give those running the blood drive hell for following the rules. This is a bigger issue than one little group discriminating at school, this is discrimination across the country.

Reply
  • H

Heather smithFeb 6, 2013 at 10:41 AM

we have stupidly come a long way. no matter what they have to check the blood for anything. so it shouldn’t matter if you are gay or not. wee all have the same blood. and if I was dying orc needed blood I would not care if you were straight or gay.

Reply
Activate Search
Blood drive refuses to accept gay student’s blood