Faculty serve ice cream, conversation

October 7, 2018

Bradley Wilson

Dittika Gupta, assistant professor of curriculum and learning, with other faculty from the West College of Education serves ice cream at Family Day Oct. 6, 2018. Photo by Bradley Wilson

Registrar serves ice cream
Bradley Wilson
Registrar Darla Inglish serves ice cream at Family Day Oct. 6, 2018.

Faculty, most from the West College of Education, served ice cream and conversation to students and their families on Saturday beginning at 3 p.m. in the Quad. The event was the cherry on top of a fun-filled Family Day.

Computer science freshman Tayton Rose said he enjoyed the atmosphere, throwback music and chatting with teachers.

“It’s a fun environment with plenty of toppings to choose from,” Rose said. “The music provided a fun energy as well as the conversation you make with professors.”

Mareta Glover, grandmother of English and theater freshman Rachel Shipley, said she has enjoyed family weekend as well as her syrup-drenched, Oreo cookie ice cream.

“It was delicious and very sweet of MSU to do this,” Glover said. “Family weekend has been terrific.”

Michaelle Kitchen, associate professor and chair of counseling, said she has been apart of this tradition since it first started and looks forward to seeing how happy people get when she puts their selected toppings on.

“I’ve been here for 22 years and have been doing this ever since they started,” Kitchen said. “The best part is seeing the faces of the people when we put the toppings on and the joy they get from getting ice cream.”