Angel Ukwitegyetse

Suicide speaker, Josh Rivedal, speaks to 76 students on Sept. 25 in Commanche to give them support.

Tell Your Story to Break the Stigma

September 25, 2018

Josh Rivedal shares his experience of suicide and urges others to tell their story to break the stigma of suicide Sept. 25 in the Comanche Suites at the Student Center.

“Storytelling for me is this new suicide prevention 2.0 because rates are rising. Suicide is the second cause of death in [the college] age group. Every two hours and eleven minutes somebody under the age of 25 dies from suicide. Why are we still not talking about this?  It’s preventable right?” Rivedal said in his speech.

In his speech Rivedal spoke about how 20-30 years ago, diseases such as aids or cancer were considered hushed, controversial subjects that were rarely discussed, if ever. With the help of a few public figures, conversations started which led to increased awareness to seek help and to prevent their disease.

Rivedal also said, “Anything that you’ve been through. When you share that story with somebody else, now you’re not alone anymore.”

Over time the stigma of suicide and mental health will be broken by simply speaking about it and telling your story.

“Stories [help break the stigma] because it causes your neurons in the brain to fire the same way it would fire if it were doing the actual action being talked about,” Rivedal said in his speech.

Talking about your story can physically help others. Others are able to feel comfortable with their internal struggles to seek help in a safe environment such as a friend, family member, or professional.

Rivedal said, “Talking about help leads to getting help.”

There are several ways to help break this stigma by discussing your story via peer-to-peer or counseling.

“Speak up, speak out, and speak often,” Rivedal said.

Students believed it was very informative.

LaNisa Small radiology sophomore said, “The event was very entertaining and it was informative and I feel like I could better understand the struggles of people that struggle from suicidal thoughts.”

She also said that it is good for the school to be informed about suicide because the more aware we are the better.