Marketing Senior, Kaleb Collins moniters over the children at the Lemonade day wrap up party in front of the Texoma Credit Union building on Saturday, May 5, 2018. Photo by Latoya Fondren.

Lemonade Day helps young entrepreneurs

May 8, 2018

More than 50 lemonade stands popped up all around Wichita Falls for Lemonade Day on May 5, a day where elementary students became young entrepreneurs.

Around 300 elementary students have been preparing for the event for a month with the help of students in the entrepreneurship and management of small enterprises class.

“Lemonade Day is a community program specifically set up to teach kids how to become entrepreneurs by having their own business,” Simon Ospina, finance and economics junior, said. “They get to pick what kind of lemonade they sell, their prices and how their stand will look. All of these choices are up to them.”

Scott Manley, assistant professor of management, said this is the third year the school has been involved with this youth program and it is teaching students the value of service learning.

“The idea for our students [is] that it is service learning,” Manley said. “Not only does it help them [students] to learn the material better, to teach the stuff they’ve learned over the course of the semester, but it is also to teach them the value of giving back.”

Each group chooses what they want to support and give donations to. Nelli Ho, young entrepreneur, wanted to donate money to her sister, Nini Ho, to help pay for bills due to cancer.

“It really touched my heart because she’s only nine years old and she doesn’t need to pay attention to what’s going on with me medical wise,” Nini Ho said. “She doesn’t need to take care of my bills or even help me, I just want her support and that’s what sisters are for.”

• Madi Hons, raising entrepreneur, and her mentor, Ryan Cruz, managment senior, sell lemonade to benefit Emily's Legacy Rescue for Lemonade Day on May 2, 2018. Photo by Mekala Conway.

Mekala Conway

• Seth Madison, Marissa Jaimes and Dharma Lawson, young entrepanures for Nintendos Lemonade pose with mentor Alexis Maes, economics junior, next to their lemonade stand in from of the Honda Patterson dealership for Lemonade Day on May 5, 2018. Photo by Justin Marquart

• Entrepreneurs Nini Ho and her younger sister Nelli Ho pose behind their lemonade stand on Saturday, May 5, 2016. "My dad built this stand and worked on it at his workshop for two days just for my little sister." Ho said. Photo by Latoya Fondren

• Eggs Rolls from Nelli's Lemonade Lab on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips

• The young entrepanures at Lemonade Cats stand Averi Duncan, Colton Griffin amd Sera Sweariegen hand a GMC dealership worker a cup of lemonade at the GMC Patterson dealership where they raised around $310 on Lemonade Day on May 5, 2018. Photo by Justin Marquart

• A customer being served at Nelli's Lemonade Lab for Lemonade Day on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips.

• Eric Mead, raising entrepreneur, pours lemonade to raise moeny for the Wichita Falls Humane Society on May 5, 2018. Photo by Mekala Conway.

Mekala Conway

• Coleston Ludtke, raising entrepreneur, and his mother, Traci, sell lemonade to help raise money for Notre Dame Catholic School for Lemonade Day on May 5, 2018. Photo by Mekala Conway.

Mekala Conway

• Entrepreneur, Makenzie Nicholson poses with a joyful smile in front of her 'Sour patch' lemonade stand on Saturday, May 5, 2018.

• Apple Pie and Strawberry Rhubarb in a jar from Makenzie Nicholson's lemonade stand "Sour Patch Kenz" on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips

• Lynda Cannedy, signing participation certificates at the Lemonade Day after party on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips

• Simon Ospina, finance junior, mans the prize table at the lemonade after party at the Texoma Community Credit Union on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips

• Children play in the bouncy houses and attendees fix themselves food at the food tents at Lemonade wrap up party in front of the Texoma Credit Union building on Saturday, May 5, 2018. Photo by Latoya Fondren.

• Volunteers and attendees fix themselves a plate of burgers fresh from the grill on Saturday, May 5, 2018. Photo by Latoya Fondren.

• One of the prizes at the Lemonade Day after party on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips

• Young entreprenuers present their lemonade to a panel of lemonade taste judges at the wrap up party in front of the Texoma Credit Union building on Saturday May 5, 2018. Photo by Latoya Fondren.

• Attendees gathering around the food tent at the Lemonade Day after party on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips

• Finance junior, Simon Ospina, business managment senior, Kevin Teems, marketing senior, Reagan Bates, marketing senior Kaleb Collins and marketing senior, Mabelyn Beabers volunteer at the business results table for Lemonade day participants to add up their revenue results from ther stands on Saturday, May 5, 2018. Photo by Latoya Fondren.

• After party attendees signing up for prizes at the Texoma Community Credit Union on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips

• Coleston Ludtke, raising entrepreneur, pours lemonade to help raise money for Notre Dame Catholic School for Lemonade Day on May 5, 2018. Photo by Mekala Conway.

Mekala Conway

• CEO of arts council, Carol Sales, Golf team coach, Jeff Ray and Raising Canes managing partner, Chris Hadley take turns tasting different kinds of lemonade to find the best tasting lemonade. Photo by Latoya Fondren

• Attendees fix themselves food from the food tents at the wrap up party on Saturday May 5, 2018. Photo by Latoya Fondren.

• Marketing Senior, Kaleb Collins moniters over the children at the Lemonade day wrap up party in front of the Texoma Credit Union building on Saturday, May 5, 2018. Photo by Latoya Fondren.

• Children play in a blow-up obstical course at the Lemonade Day after party at Texoma Comunity Credit Union on May 5, 2018. Photo by Chloe Phillips

• Poppy seed bread at Makenzie Nicholson's lemonade stand "Sour Patch Kenz" on May 5, 2018. "I give [particiapting in Lemonade Day] five stars because you get to communicate with people, you get to be out here and you can learn how to be a  young entrepreneur." Photo by Chloe Phillips

The Wichitan • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in