PRIDE hosts movie night that challenges gender stereotypes

Herbert McCullough

According to Lia Wiley, senator of PRIDE and radiology sophomore, this screening had lower attendance than the previous movie night with The Nightmare Before Christmas.

“Eight people have shown up,” Wiley said. “That night, there were people that weren’t in PRIDE, but this one was only members of PRIDE.”

The Disney sing-along rose a lot of awareness of systemic sexism and cultural patriarchy in ancient Chinese society, and Zaquera Wallace, biology, and pre-vet junior said it challenged society.

Mulan touches on a lot on the patriarchal society of ancient China,” Wallace said. “She overcomes that and challenges the gender stereotypes by doing what no woman can do. She doesn’t let the law stop her from protecting her father.”

Zayra Maiato, mass communication sophomore said that she was not of fam of the gender roles within Chinese society.

“I’m not a fan of gender roles in general. I believe in free range and I don’t believe that X group can do one thing that X group can’t. If there’s someone says that they want to run for president, I don’t think they should be said that they can do that because of their gender. I feel like their reasons weren’t the best. Gender roles aren’t cool and they aren’t a good thing in general.”

Wallace also said how honor is valued in Eastern culture as the beginning of the movie, where Mulan was late for a bride’s test.

“I saw that honor was really important to them,” Wallace said. “The women are being trained at a young age to be perfect brides.”

Wallace said that her favorite part of the movie was when Mulan was singing reflection. She believed that scene was an important part Mulan’s character development.

“My favorite part is when she is in the temple and sings ‘reflection.’, Wallace said. “It explains that she tries to find who she is. The ancestors try to wake up a guardian for her, but the reason; however, she is her own guardian.”

Matthew Graham, mechanical engineering sophomore said that his favorite character in the movie was Mulan.

“When her hair is up, she’s a man and when her hair is down, she’s a woman,” Graham said. “Mulan’s a cool guy.”

Graham said that the conscription notice was very interesting since he registered for selective service.

“When I turned 18, I registered for selective service right away. I would join the army.”

Her elderly father, a veteran of the Chinese imperial army was conscripted to serve again. Mulan defied the law and replaced her father for the conscription. Graham said that he would have done the same thing for his parents.

“My parents are old,” Graham said. “My mom already retired from the military. I would never let her go back.”

The movie ended with Mulan single-handly saving China from the Hun army. Maiato said that she would not have been able to do what Mulan did.

“Of course not. Mulan is a hero story. You’re watching it to hear the story about a cool guy who saves the day. I wouldn’t be able to take on the Huns because I’m not a star in the Disney hero story.”

After Mulan ended, PRIDE later screened Mulan II. However, many students were not as impressed with the second Mulan.

Mulan II is not as good as the first one,” Wiley said. “It’s a solid sequel but I wouldn’t watch it without watching Mulan first. You can’t just sit and watch Mulan II without watching Mulan.

One of the biggest complaints from Mulan II is how inferior the animation was to Mulan.

“If you watched Mulan and Mulan II directly after it, you will be like ‘Ah, what happened’,” Wiley said “It’s very jarring. Some of the transitions were kind of weird. There were also a lot of cool animations.”

In contrast to many fans of the series, many students did not like Mushu, Mulan’s guardian. Wiley said that his motives were selfish and he becomes more selfish in the second movie.

“He was selfish in the first Mulan because the only reason he wanted Mulan to stay in the war was for him to regain his spot on the pedestal,” Wiley said. “But in the second one, he wanted to keep his spot on the pedestal and that was the reason he wanted to brake Mulan and Shang up. But after Shang joined their temples, he went back to mistreating the ancestors like he did before. He didn’t realize that he was being rude, mean, and selfish.”

Wiley also said that Mulan II ended on a cliffhanger in regards to the aftermath of the princesses’ decision on not completing the engagement.

“The princesses were going to marry three princes from the Kingdom of Qui Gong, in order to form an alliance against the Mongols,” Wiley said. “But that didn’t happen and the ending of the movie was left on a cliffhanger. I wondered if the war happened.”

However, despite the lack of quality compared to the previous film, many students still enjoyed Mulan II. Wiley’s favorite part of the movie was the false death scene of Shang.

“My favorite part was the part when they think that Shang died. It’s just very dramatic and it represents the true love between him and Mulan.”

Wiley also said that she enjoyed the message of balance that Mulan II presented. She believed this was a perfect message for the relationship of Mulan and Shang.

“Ying and Yang is a perfect example of Mulan and Shang. They were different but they complement each other. It’s kind of like the lesson of opposites attract.”

However, Wiley said that she had mixed feelings about the second message of Mulan II, which is a message of following your heart. Even though Wiley said she supported the princesses’ decision to not complete the engagement, she believed that their actions indirectly madeChina more vulnerable to the Mongols.

“It’s something that you should do but in the movie, it’s portrayed strangely. The princesses do have a duty that they have to do because they are royalty. They are expected to marry princes and stop wars. They want to follow their heart, which is great, but everyone in China might be dead because of it.”

Despite the low attendance, Wiley said that the movie night was very successful.

“Despite the fact that not a lot of people showed up, I thought it was successful because we all had fun,” Wiley said. “And that’s the point, to bond, have fun, and make friends.”

“I wish more people showed up. That would be great. We also wish to have added popcorn like we did on the last movie night.”

Wallace said that the next PRIDE movie screening will be next Thursday and it will be Leo and Stich.

“The next one is Leo and Stich. It’s after Thanksgiving and it’s one of my favorite Disney movies. I love the animation and the story of Leo and Stich.”