Ace Sushi is a new restaurant in the Clark Student Center at MSU, Aug 30. (Colin Stevenson)
Ace Sushi is a new restaurant in the Clark Student Center at MSU, Aug 30.

Colin Stevenson

Roll up to Ace Sushi

September 1, 2021

Ace Sushi, MSU’s newest addition to campus dining options is everything sushi-loving students could ask for and more! In my opinion, it’s pretty delicious and there are so many options to choose from that even those who are anti-sushi could be converted into sushi lovers (once you’ve loaded up sufficient flex dollars, of course).

Ace Sushi offers grab-and-go meals in an open fridge
Ace Sushi offers grab-and-go meals in an open fridge. Aug 25. (Soleil Weeks)

My friends and I have been to Ace several times since its opening (RIP to our flex dollars and bank accounts), and they haven’t disappointed once. We’ve all been waiting forever for a place on campus where we can eat clean, guilt-free food that is tasty and consistent in quality. Maybe there’s a bit of shade there, but while it has only been a week, Ace Sushi has provided thus far, quick, friendly and overall excellent customer service (shoutout to Stephanie and the sushi chefs), and an extensive variety of sushi, salads and boba tea, although word on the street has been that the boba tea is a little pricey for its size and quality.

Nonetheless, one of my favorite things about this place is the seamless pickup experience. Nine out of ten times (more like four out of five since it’s only been a week and some), the fridge is packed – and I mean packed, with a variety of sushi options to suit all, or most, tastes. There are usually several rolls with different combinations of imitation crab, salmon, tuna and shrimp, with delicious toppings like seaweed, tempura flakes and spicy mayo. I may or may not be wiping drool off my keyboard while writing this, but I feel obligated to give mention to my personal favorites: the Spicy Tuna Roll, the Phoenix Roll and the TSA roll – real ones know wassup. The Boba Tea also comes in several flavors, my favorites being the dairy-free Raspberry Lemonade and the Peach/Mango Fruit Fusion. If I’m being entirely honest, though, I go without them most times since Jeff Bezos isn’t my dad and I’m not yet a millionaire.

By the way, if your favorite roll isn’t already stocked in the fridge, the chefs will gladly make a roll at your request. Since I’m gluten intolerant, the chefs have gladly made me a gluten-free Spicy Tuna roll and a Phoenix roll filled with tuna instead of crabstick. I kid you not, few things have ever made me that happy in life. I love this place so much.

All in all, people, Ace is the perfect place to hit up if you’d like to try something new, treat yourself and/or your friends, or when the stress of the semester is getting a little too much to handle. It’s only been a week and a half, but some of us (me) are honestly already pretty overwhelmed. Luckily, I can sleep at night now knowing that Ace will be there all semester.

Seriously, though, go check Ace Sushi out if you haven’t already! Your flex account may not be the happiest about it, but I can almost guarantee that you will be. That’s what really matters at the end of the day, right?