Psychology freshman Aaryanna Williams hands the baton off to sports and leisure freshman Taylor Carr in the 4x400m relay. Feb. 22. (Bridget Reilly)
Psychology freshman Aaryanna Williams hands the baton off to sports and leisure freshman Taylor Carr in the 4x400m relay. Feb. 22.

Bridget Reilly

Day two recap of the LSC indoor track and field championships

February 22, 2020

The Mustangs continued their fight at the Lone Star Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships Saturday, Feb. 22 at Texas Tech. 

Peyton Lewis, finance freshman, started day two off with a field event: triple jump. Lewis finished with a career best, 10.88 meters, and placed 13th. 

Triple jump
Colin Stevenson
Finance freshman Peyton Lewis takes the first jump for her triple-jump run. Feb. 22.

The Mustangs had five women run in the mile race. Amerhyst Woolf, nursing junior, finished seventh with a time of 5:28.45, Katie Till, athletic training junior, finished ninth with a time of 5:29.40, Elizabeth Butzke, childhood education freshman, finished 14th with a time of 5:41.09, Michelle Estrada, criminal justice junior, finished 15th with a time of 5:41.09 and Olivia Johnson, education sophomore, finished 16th with a time of 5:44.02. Till won her heat by over three seconds and set a new career record.

Distance medley relay
Bridget Reilly
Athletic training junior Katie Till surges in front of a West Texas A&M University athlete while running the 800 meter leg of the distance medley relay. Feb. 21.

“I was in the slow heat, so I just had to stay in it mentally. It’s stressful, because people are always judging the person in front,” Till said. 

Approximately two hours after running the mile, Woolf ran in the 3,000 meter race. She finished the race 13th with a time of 10:54.58. Woolf said fatigue definitely played a factor in her ending result.

“I’m really proud that I was able to finish all three events and just put down some good times for all three of them. I think [the mile] kind of wore me out a little bit. It probably wasn’t the best decision if I wanted to put down a good 3K time, but overall I was pretty happy with my times for both events today,” Woolf said. 

Gemma Gonzalez, nursing senior, added to the success of the day, placing 4th in the 800 meters with a time of 2.19. 

“I was really confident during the 800 meters. I knew I had to stay in the top group from the start and pass as many girls as I could once we got to the last 200 meters. I didn’t make it to the podium, but I still ran an indoor personal record,” Gonzalez said. 

800m
Bridget Reilly
Nursing senior Gemma Gonzalez sprints to the finishing line in the 800m finishing in fourth place. Feb. 22.

The Mustangs ended the day with a 4×400 meters relay with a time of 4:03. Syndi Lewis, psychology freshman, Taylor Carr, sports & leisure studies freshman, Aaryanna Williams, psychology freshman, and Sydney Tucker, nursing freshman, took the track by storm, placing 6th. 

Head Coach Koby Styles is proud of the way his team performed and is looking forward to the years to come.

4x400m
Bridget Reilly
Psychology freshman Aaryanna Williams gets “set” before the gun goes off in the 4x400m relay. Feb. 22.

“I couldn’t be more happier with the way we performed the whole weekend. Our team looks completely different than it ever has. We are a bigger squad and in more events. So with us doing what we did this weekend, we are going to be good in the next three years. You are going to see MSU on the top of the board,” Styles said.