MSU Texas mourns the passing of student, Anna Calhoun

MSU Texas student Anna Calhoun, biology junior, was among those pronounced dead after a civilian plane she was riding in crashed into a home in Hattiesburg, Mississippi Tuesday, May 4. Authorities have yet to identify what causes the crash.

The planes other two passengers, Calhoun’s two year-old daughter Harper Provenza, and Dr. Louis Provenza, a practicing neurosurgeon at United Regional, also passed away in the crash, as did the owner of the home the plane crashed into, Gerry Standley.

MSU released the following statement regarding Calhoun’s passing:

“The MSU Texas family is deeply saddened to learn of the death of student Anna Calhoun in private plane crash Tuesday night. On behalf of the University, we express our heartfelt condolences to her family, friends and classmates during this very difficult time.

“Anna was a junior biology student at MSU Texas who planned to attend physician assistant school upon graduation.

“News of this tragic loss may be difficult to process and affect many members of our campus community. Anyone in need of support is encouraged to use University resources provided by the Counseling Center. They may be reached at 940-397-4618.”

Calhoun was on her way to see a family member graduate at the University of Southern Mississippi. The president of USM, Rodney Bennett, released a statement regarding the incident as well.

“My heart breaks for our student and her family, and for our community members and their family,” Bennett said in the statement.  “The University extends our deepest condolences and our thoughts and prayers to all those who are affected by this tragedy during this time of great loss.”

Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced.

The Wichitan’s thoughts are with the loved ones of all those who passed away in the accident.