Reading series ends on a strong note

November 18, 2018

About 45 people were in attendance at the Red River Reading Series on Monday evening in the Legacy Hall Multipurpose Room moderated by Assistant Professor of English John Schulze.

Schulze started the Red River Reading Series in 2016. This event occurs three times over the semester, allowing students and professors a chance to share their creative writing with the audience. The writing can be fiction, non fiction or poem. Anyone can come and read their literature. “Everyone should come to the event,” Glebe said.

The key speakers were English juniors, Gracie Glebe and Grace Tsichlis.

Glebe read two pieces of literature to start off the session, including a poem called Lily Pad.

Glebe said, “Lily Pads was about a camping trip she took with her friends where the lake was full of lily pads. It really stuck with me and I wrote the poem trying to recapture it.”

At the end of the reading the crowd roared with a big round of applause.

Glebe’s second piece of literature did not have a title but was geared toward her personal life.

English junior Grace Tsichlis also read a piece of literature, which was a non fiction piece that grabbed the audience’s attention.

Honors Program Director Cody Parish said, “I enjoyed each of the stories and poems and how they conveyed thoughts provoking ideas within a concise amount of time.”

Schulze filled in for Johnson III. Schulze read a non-fiction story that Johnson III wrote with a plethora of details and eye opening to the audience.

Computer science senior Jeremy Glebe, one of the people in attendance said, “I enjoy hearing different authors’ approaches to storytelling. Plus my wife was reading so, you know, that’s cool.”

This was the last Red River Reading series for this semester. Schulze said, “The series will start back up sometime in February and will run through April.”

RELATED STORY

Reading series presents students’ works, creativity on campus