Bradley Wilson

Caitlyn Cremeens, digital manager and DesignWorks Group, discusses how she uses Facebook Live with her clients at the third MSU Texas Social Media Day, Oct. 1, 2018.

Alumna speaks on importance of Facebook Live

October 5, 2018

Caitlyn Cremeens, digital manager at DesignWorks and 2015 graduate, taught a session about the uses of Facebook Live within the professional world for Social Media Day at 1 p.m. Oct. 1 in the Legacy Multipurpose Room.

“It’s important to teach high school kids because they have such a different world view of social media and it’s fun to talk to them about the future opportunities they could have,” Cremeens said.

Cremeens said she has worked with companies in her two years at DesignWorks including a bank and women’s clinic. She asked students if they felt Facebook was for old people and when the majority of the room raised their hands, she agreed with the statement, but continued to explain the need for Facebook in the professional world.

“If you go into the digital marketing world, you will have to have Facebook,” Cremeens said. “That’s where most people with the buying power are.”

Cremeens said this generation has an advantage in the digital marketing world.

“It’s something fun. It’s challenging, and it’s a new kind of job that I think this age group is going to excel at because they’ve grown up in it,” Cremeens said. “This generation is going to be more prepared for this kind of job than any other generation has been.”

Cremeens said the new generation of students will need to understand social media sites, like Facebook, to get ahead in the field.

“Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat are super popular with that age group, but they’re really going to need to know Facebook too,” Cremeens said. “They’re going to have to know how to use Facebook Ad Manager, which can change everyday. If they learn that early, it’s going to set them apart from other job candidates.”

Cremeens said it’s important to stay up to date on the advancements Facebook Live makes.

“Facebook Live comes out with new stuff all the time. Make sure you’re reading blogs, informational pages, because Facebook will pop up notifications and tell you whats changing. That’s so important because then you can take it to your client first and seem super smart,” Cremeens said.

Tandy Roberts, marketing education instructor at the Career Education Center, brought her high school marketing students to Social Media Day to hear the speakers.

“They are getting to learn how to use social media to promote businesses, products and themselves,” Roberts said.

Roberts said a challenge she faces in teaching students is helping them understand the future applications of the things they learn. She said she hopes that can help.

“One of the hardest things is getting them to realize they can actually use these skills in the real world,” Roberts said.

Roberts said learning these skills will equip students for the future.

“Learning these skills will prepare them for college and one day the workforce,” Roberts said.

High school sophomore Dacey Ramirez attended Social Media Day with the marketing class at the Career Education Center. She said she plans to attend MSU in the future and the skills she learned at Social Media Day will be beneficial to her.

“I like how they gave us advice on how to put yourself out there and create a brand for yourself,” Ramirez said.

Ramirez said the sessions helped remind her of the importance of what others see on social media.

“They instructed us on how to use social media to promote a good image of ourselves,” Ramirez said.

In her speech, Cremeens said she worked with a bank that used Facebook Live to share information to target audiences and to promote the professional aspects of social media to show examples of social media careers.

“I hope that this will help students understand the benefits of knowing how to use social media so they can have that advantage as they go into their careers,” Cremeens said.

Facebook Live
Facebook Live

HOW TO GO LIVE

Since its launch, live streaming video has grown in popularity. Facebook Live is particularly popular — videos see sometimes three times the engagement of traditional videos shared on the platforms, and millions of users live stream on Facebook around the world.

1. Go to the News Feed, and tap the “Live” option denoted by the camcorder icon.
  2. Give Facebook access to the camera and microphone when prompted.
  3. Choose the appropriate privacy setting.
  4. Write an engaging description.
  5. Tag friends, choose your location, or add an activity.
  6. Set up your camera view.
  7. Go Live.
  8. Archive the video to YouTube or Vimeo.

RESOURCES:

The Wichitan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Wichitan Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *