A day in the life of Hagen Northcutt

Hagen Northcutt
Hagen Northcutt, secondary education junior.

It doesn’t matter what day it is, the white door of his apartment is being open and closed time after time as Hagen Northcutt, secondary education junior, continuously moves from place to place with only enough time to grab what he needs out of his apartment before moving to his next task.

Not only is Northcutt the rush chair for fraternity, Kappa Sigma, but he also works at Old Navy, is an intern at First Baptist Church Wichita Falls, and is enrolled in 17 hours this fall semester.

“A day in my life is hectic,” Northcutt said. “I am involved in Greek life and I also work two jobs. I enjoy everything I do and, though it is hard, at the end of the week I know it is worth it. Finding time for school work is difficult and I continuously have to remind myself that my education is what I am here for.”

Thanks to his relationships with friends, fraternity brothers and Jesus Christ, Northcutt has found joy in his busy schedule.

“God has given me the opportunity to find joy in all things if I set my mind to it,” Northcutt said. “I get to start my day reading God’s word setting the tone for the rest of my day which reminds me to be loving to others and show them the love of Christ.”

According to Northcutt, he has something on his schedule everyday of the week and the few days he has free tend to be boring.

“Sundays are my busiest days,” Northcutt said. “I usually have a little bit of everything to do on Sundays. I get the opportunity to work both of my jobs, have fraternity meetings and finish the night with homework.”

Northcutt begins his first job on Sunday at 8 a.m. at First Baptist Church Wichita Falls as a junior high intern. He said this is his favorite job because of the positive effect it has on him.

“I love the internship, I get the opportunity to talk to kids every week about a God who is real and loving at the same time,” Northcutt said. “I get to impact the lives of kids in our community, multiple times a week. It encourages me and my relationship with our Lord every day.”

According to Northcutt, he works with his some of his closest friends at the church. He said they help him have a positive attitude through out the internship.

“Hagen obviously has a busy schedule, but he doesn’t let that effect his effort at work. He does a fantastic job in middle school and always has a ton of energy,” Josiah Beshear, mass communication junior, said.

After his first job ends around noon. Northcutt said he has time to eat lunch with friends or his middle school students, and he starts homework or takes time to relax.

“Before I go to Old Navy, I take time to study or take a breather,” Northcutt said. “This depends on how late I am willing on staying up that night to do homework. Finding time to relax is important, but it’s also difficult to fit into my busy schedule.”

Northcutt begins work at Old Navy at 3 p.m. He said this is the least enjoyable part of his day because he has less meaningful conversations with others throughout his shift.

“Time at Old Navy tends to go very slow which is probably the thing I don’t enjoy about it,” Northcutt said. “I enjoy the people I work with and I have to keep the job so I keep it. Although I would rather spend my time doing school work or being with friends, I am extremely grateful for the job.”

When Northcutt gets off work, he turns the Lumineers on his radio while driving back to his apartment where he grabs a quick meal and gets dressed for the Kappa Sigma Sunday meeting.

“Sunday meetings aren’t appealing to everyone,” Northcutt said. “But I love to get to see all of my brothers and catch up with the ones I didn’t get to see during the week. This also gives all of us an awesome opportunity with deciding what events the fraternity will get to do.”

Northcutt said being the rush chair means he is in charge of potential new members which results in a crazy couple of weeks for him each semester, however, he also said this is a position he wanted and he enjoys it.

“Hagen was personal about rushing at the start of the semester,” Dalton McDonald, pre-med freshman, said. “He didn’t just talk up the fraternity but he also spent time with the freshman. If I could describe how Hagen put together rush week in one word, it would be magical.”

Northcutt said meeting people is one of his favorite things. He said he tries to build new relationships and make other relationships stronger everyday.

“Juggling fraternity stuff with two jobs and 17 hours can be difficult, but it is completely worth it,” Northcutt said. ”I love Greek life and I love the people I do it with. This is something that is worth making time for”

Northcutt said once he gets back to his apartment he gets to take his shoes off for the first time all day just to finish any homework that isn’t done or study before the school week starts.

“I constantly have to motivate myself to get school work done,” Northcutt said. “I remind myself about my future, my desire to coach sports and influence kids. That is what gives me the desire to do well in school.”