• M

MeridethOct 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I can tell you right now that being left handed is NOT a disability under any laws. Also, someone who uses crutches is NOT disabled either. Injuries are not the same things as disabilities. As someone who is in a wheelchair and has been for 18 years I can attest that Fain is not accessible even without considering the lack of elevator. I would also like to point out that there are two elevators in Hardin, one on the North end and one on the South end next to the Financial Aid window. And since alterations have been made to Fain to make some of the bathrooms and door accessible, then legally the school is supposed to make the entire building ADA compliant.

Reply
  • M

MarySep 30, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Since I’m left-handed and apparently have a disability, does this mean I qualify for special treatment or scholarships or something? All my life I’ve been left-handed and I never knew that I was disabled! Golly, my struggles on campus are just so extreme because I am left-handed. One time, I had to use scissors that were made for a right-handed person. I think this definitely rates up there with someone who has to use crutches.

Would someone please explain this article to me? And please fix all the errors in it while you’re at it.

Reply
  • A

AbbieSep 26, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I wrote an article about this issue back in 2004.

Here is the link: http://wichitan.mwsu.edu/2004-1117/features.asp

Also, as a southpaw, I don’t consider myself disabled and I don’t believe that is a disability according to the ADA. It’s just a less common orientation, like being gay or redheaded–neither of which is a disability.

Reply
Activate Search
Disability access lacking on campus