Mustangs to take on Texas A&M-Kingsville

Kelsey Purcell

Last year's homecoming Football game against Texas A&M- Kingsville at Memorial Stadium was Oct 31st. Photo by Kayla White.

Last year’s homecoming Football game against Texas A&M- Kingsville at Memorial Stadium was Oct 31st. Photo by Kayla White.

The football team is scheduled to play Texas A&M-Kingsville at Javelina Stadium in Kingsville, Texas Sept. 17 in the team’s first conference game of the season. Last year, the Mustangs defeated the Javelinas 49-41 at Memorial Stadium during the Homecoming game, a win that led to a conference championship title for the Mustangs. However, the Javelinas are already off to a solid start to their season this year with a 2-0 record, after their last in conference finish last year.

“They’ve definitely improved from last year,” Quade Coward, quarterback and team captain, said. “But I really think it just comes down to us taking care of us, and not worrying about how good they’re going to be or how well they’re going to play. We just need to go out there and do what we do. Control what we can, then the outcome is always going to be good.”

After coming off of a road win against Truman State University, the Mustangs said they are feeling ready to take on the Javelinas.

“We’re confident, and our coaches are drawing up a good game plan so we can get the right people in the right positions to make the right plays,” Adam Hill, linebacker and a team captain, said.

The Mustangs have been preparing the last two weeks for this competitive game, receiving an additional week of practice and preparation as a result of this past weekend being a by-week for them. Coward, kinesiology senior, said he believes the extra week of practicing without a game, while the Javelinas have played two games, is advantageous for the Mustangs.

“We have two games on film of [the Javelinas] to watch,” Coward said.

He added that he felt that the by-week was a positive advantage for the team, also, because it gave them a few days off to simply relax, both physically and mentally.

“That week gave us time not only to work on those little things, but also that camaraderie,” Rich Renner, defensive coordinator, said. “Anytime you play in the Lone Star Conference, week in and week out, it’s always a challenge. You always have to be at your best. Every game is a battle.”

Renner said he sees this game as an opportunity for the Mustangs to establish themselves for the rest of the season. Despite their less than stellar record last year, Renner expects the Javelinas to come out strong on Saturday.

Not looking back on their previous season, the coaches said the team is in pursuit of a successful season filled with its own challenges and glories.

“They’re very fast and senior-oriented,” said Renner. “This sets the tone for the rest of the conference games.”

“2016 has it’s own problems and issues, but it also has it’s own storyline,” Renner said. “Obviously, starting off 1-0 is a huge start.”

Renner speaks of this season as if it is a story. He said he makes his players think about how they can craft their own future.

“The script is yet to be written. We’re in the first or second pages of the chapter,” said Renner. “I always ask the kids: ‘Chapter 2, what do you want to have written about you in Chapter 2? We get to write that chapter.’”

The game will be broadcast on the radio on ESPN 95.5 FM, and live video of the game will be available free on the Javelina’s football website.

About the Writer
4 Comments

4 Responses to “Mustangs to take on Texas A&M-Kingsville”

1. john purcell on September 13th, 2016 8:34 pm

THIS IS THE GREATEST ARTICLE IN THE WORLD. SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE BIBLE. INCREDIBLE

2. Robin Ganyard on September 14th, 2016 7:46 am

Well written!
    Hoping for a great season for the Mustangs.

3. Fred Lewis on September 14th, 2016 6:33 pm

Well done Kelsey! Now I can say I know a real reporter!

4. Sherri Enriquez on September 17th, 2016 7:53 pm

I knew you would be a fantastic writer. You have been since elementary school.

• Sports

Commerce defeat volleyball 3-0

• Mustangs to take on Texas A&M-Kingsville

Feature

Mustangs take down Angelo State 57-36

Sports

Men’s soccer beats St. Mary’s 3-1

Sports

Campus honors Robert Grays with 24 push ups

Sports

Men’s soccer beats Newman 3-1

• Sports

Women’s Soccer Game against Southwestern Oklahoma State

Sports

Intramural flag football begins

Sports

Men’s soccer begin conference play with Mustangs 3-1 victory

Sports

Football takes down West Florida

• Sports

Volleyball team falls to Eastern New Mexico University in season opener