Basketball rolls into post-season

Lauren Roberts

Nelson Haggerty, head men's baketball coach, pulls down the net during the men's basketball team net cutting ceremony Monday night in D.L. Ligon Coliseum after winning the Lone Star Conference Championship. Photo by Lauren Roberts

Nelson Haggerty, head men’s baketball coach, pulls down the net during the men’s basketball team net cutting ceremony Monday night in D.L. Ligon Coliseum after winning the Lone Star Conference Championship. Photo by Lauren Roberts

The men’s basketball team clinched it’s third consecutive championship defeating Cameron 74-71 March 1. Monday night Nelson Haggerty, head men basketball coach, organized a net cutting ceremony in D.L. Ligon Coliseum. The men closed out the regular season with a nine-game win streak and a record of 20-6.

“I wanted to give the team the opportunity to cut down the net in front of the supporters that have been there for us all season,” Haggerty said.

The Lone Star Conference starts today in Allen, Texas and the men play Texas A&M-Kingsville at 2:30 p.m. in the Allen Event Center. If the team wins the next game will be Friday at 2:30 p.m.

The women will play Angelo State University at 6 p.m. on Thursday in Allen, Texas in the Allen Event Center. The team ended the season with a dominating win over Cameron 91-58 in Lawton March 1 with a overall record of 17-10. If the women win the next game will be Friday at 6 p.m.