About 200 students attend first Senior Walk

May 10, 2018

About 200 students marched around campus May 10 for the first Senior Walk, visiting cheering faculty and staff from each college.

“It gives us a chance for the faculty and staff who have worked with these students over the course of their time here to celebrate,” Johnston said. “A good time for the students to reflect on their time here with one last official walk here. It represents the transition from student to alumni.”

Johnston said he is trying to establish the walk around campus as a tradition including brief congratulations from the deans of each college as the seniors walked around campus led by a police escort.

“You want it to be a memorable time with your friends that you’ve gone to school with,” he said. “It builds and maintains that connection with the university. I hope it grows every year.”

Johnston said the Alumni Association and Student Alumni Council helped to plan it along with the academic deans.

As he welcomed the crowed, Mitch Kipp, political science freshman and member of the Student Alumni Council, said, “I hope you can all enjoy reminiscing about the good times and experiences you’ve had here.”

The seniors finished their walk on the courtyard in front of Dillard eating maroon and gold cupcakes.

RELATED STORY: Senior Walk first steps on May 10

RELATED COLUMN: Forming new club gave me confidence, opportunity