Mother’s Day ceramic sale May 10-14

May 10, 2018

Emma Griffiths, art senior, looks at a ceramic piece at the ceramic Mother's Day sale in the ceramics studio Fain C119 on May 10, 2018. Photo by Justin Marquart
Justin Marquart
Emma Griffiths, art senior, looks at a ceramic piece at the ceramic Mother’s Day sale in the ceramics studio Fain C119 on May 10, 2018. Photo by Justin Marquart

To celebrate Mother’s Day, help our students make the work that they make, and need to buy something for their mom,  the ceramic department is hosting its 12th annual ceramic sale May 10-14, 8 a.m.- 6:30 p.m. in the Fain Fine Arts Center ceramic studio. All proceeds will go back to the ceramics department.

“We have everything from large sculptures, large pots, and in different colors, all different shapes, sizes so there’s something for everyone and maybe that’s the best way to say it,” Steve Hilton, Juanita and Ralpha Harvey School of Visual Arts associate professor and faculty in residence, said. “We have work that you should be able to find something that you like or that your mom might like. There’s everything from dollar pieces to hundreds of dollars and everything in between. And I usually, if the student is nice, give students a discount.”

Steve Hilton, associate professor, puts price tags on ceramic pieces at the ceramic Mother's Day sale in the ceramics studio Fain C119 on May 10, 2018. Photo by Justin Marquart
Justin Marquart
Steve Hilton, associate professor, puts price tags on ceramic pieces at the ceramic Mother’s Day sale in the ceramics studio Fain C119 on May 10, 2018. Photo by Justin Marquart

Hilton, said it was hard to say how many people would come to the ceramic sale.

“I would say, thousands: there are a lot of people that come. It’s usually pretty busy all the time so yeah it’s hard to say but Thursday and Friday we usually the most stuff so there’s the most options those are our busiest days, ” Hilton said. “Saturday, it can be busy, Sunday it can be busy but the following Monday is pretty busy as well.”

Like all sales, the best items available can go fast but, “not that fast” according to Hilton.

“We run out of the best things but not that fast. I mean, there’s plenty of stuff. Every surface in this studio plus some will be covered in things for sale, like any area that’s flat will have stuff on in. So, there are-I’m guessing 10,000 pieces that will be on tables and counters,” Hilton said.

Tiana Szymanski, art education freshman, did not create any work for the sale. For Mother’s Day, Szymanski stated she typically buys her mom flowers. She also thinks it is “awesome” that the proceeds will go to the ceramics department.

Justin Marquart
Rachel Ross, art junior, looks at a ceramic piece at the ceramic Mother’s Day sale in the ceramics studio Fain C119 on May 10, 2018. Photo by Justin Marquart

“I’m taking it next year and that’s really awesome,” Szymanski said. “I’m sure the money will go the students depending on whoever buys what.”

Chloe Dewberry-Hanssen, art freshman, agrees with her. “It’s really fantastic” and helpful toward her as a student taking ceramics next semester.

“That’s gonna be really helpful towards me as student because art class costs of money,” Dewberry-Hanssen said. “Not that ceramics really is that expensive but, I think it’ll help.”

For mother’s day, Dewberry-Hanssen plans to give her a mother a “little frame” of a family portrait including her and her sister.

“I usually craft, I have like this background of really going all out on mother’s day because my mom’s a single parent. So, I really want her to know that she’s appreciated,” Dewberry-Hanssen said. “Even when I was really little, I’d like put little tiny banners of construction paper that said happy Mother’s Day and so like, as I’ve gotten older though, I’ve made Mother’s Day cards.”