Students keep accountability through correction, transparency

OUR VIEW: Instead of being frustrated at journalists for exposing controversial issues on campus, students should feel angry that organizations aren’t transparent enough to communicate situations that occur and aren’t met with active correction or reprimand.

Transparency reduces corruption and as a student body, we hold each other accountable for the actions they make. When students enroll, we sign the Midwestern Student Honor Code and assert that we will behave in an appropriate manner or face the consequences of a deviation from it.

Organizations can fall into dangerous traps of self-service and self-preservation without students actively checking on the ethics and morality of administration. Journalism survives off the discussions of readers on these topics when looking at different events, situations and conflicts.

While it may sting to realize controversial issues are happening on campus, and sometimes within organizations you may identify with, just because there are more discussions and documentation of these events doesn’t mean there are more issues. Instead, it shows that we are a campus of students dedicated to the safety and well-being of one another and won’t allow something unjust to be left tucked away.

As the semester winds down, we cannot lose our obligation to justice because we are tired or fatigued. We have to work to fix behaviors rather than cover them up so the negative associations with organizations or groups diminish, not because people are afraid to talk about it, but because the character and integrity of the students in those organization are unquestioned.