As a way to inform students about activism, Syreeta Greene, director of equity, inclusion and multicultural affairs, gives students and faculty information on how to speak up about their concerns at the Critical Conversations Series on Monday, April 23, 2018 in the Legacy Hall Multipurpose Room. Photo by Joanne Ortega (Joanne Ortega)
As a way to inform students about activism, Syreeta Greene, director of equity, inclusion and multicultural affairs, gives students and faculty information on how to speak up about their concerns at the Critical Conversations Series on Monday, April 23, 2018 in the Legacy Hall Multipurpose Room. Photo by Joanne Ortega

Joanne Ortega

Critical Conversations series informs on advocacy

April 24, 2018

Joanne Ortega
As a way to inform students about activism, Syreeta Greene, director of equity, inclusion and multicultural affairs, gives students and faculty information on how to speak up about their concerns at the Critical Conversations Series on Monday, April 23, 2018 in the Legacy Hall Multipurpose Room.

To have “a proactive and supportive” conversation on advocacy and activities, staff from the Office of Equity, Inclusion and Multicultural Affairs staff hosted their final session of the semester on April 23.

“We’ve had quite a bit of activism that has happened on campus over the past few months and want students to know they’re supported in that and there’s some ways to do it both on campus, as well as their local community because it’s an important part of our civic engagement as people,” Syreeta Greene, director of EIMA, said.

Kerdell Cuffy, finance freshman, said while she didn’t know about the topic until today, Cuffy ended up liking the topic because she considers herself an advocate.

“It just helped me understand what more I could do, particularly for what I believe in. I’m concerned with how little people know about Africa, so I always post about Africa, the history and whatnot,” Cuffy said.

Cuffy also said, in her opinion, activism on campus is “very stagnant.”

“Other than the #ComplicitMSU thing, there’s never been a very big movement, general gathering or nothing,” Cuffy said. “Even Amnesty International [does not get involved in activist movements] because I joined the group last semester. I thought it would be more hands on, but all they do is write letters so, I just find it very complicit.”

Christopher Cruz, theater performance junior and student assistant for EIMA, said he agree with Cuffy’s sentiment, stating that we can have more conversations like this with administration, but knows why people are not speaking up.

“I guess people are hesitant about the fact that administration probably won’t listen to them and won’t do anything that we want and we demand,” Cruz said.