Bradley Wilson

Christopher Vivio performs a tuba solo as part of the University Wind Ensemble concert April 27. Photo by Bradley Wilson

Faculty recital rescheduled for May 4

April 17, 2018

Bradley Wilson

Christopher Vivio, assistant professor of music, had to be taken to the emergency department before he was supposed to perform at a music faculty recital accompanied by Ruth Morrow, Bolin distinguished chair of piano, on April 17.

Morrow said, “I was to perform with Chris Vivio who is our low brass professor. I wasn’t in my office [at the time], but when I got back I saw that he had just called on my cell. I thought maybe he needed something from the department so I called right back, and it was his wife who told me that something had happened out in the car and that she needed to get there as quickly as possible and take him to the ER.”

Recitals are not normally cancelled, Morrow said, but before it’s rescheduled they will have to make sure that Vivio is in good condition.

“We have about two and a half more weeks,” Morrow said. “But we would like to do it this semester if possible.”

The recital has been rescheduled for May 4 at 7:30 p.m.

Camron Lynn, biology senior, said he has attended numerous amounts of recitals in the past and usually every recital has begun on time at 7:30 p.m.

“I wanted to hear Dr. Marrow play since she is my applied music instructor. [Additionally] I wanted to hear the brass, especially the low brass playing as a solo accompanied with piano. It’s different than normal to hear. Usually you have like a quartet or a symphonic band, or a singing duo, or a soloist with an accompanied piano,” Lynn said.

Vasudev Vijayaraman, computer science senior, said he went to attend the recital as an assignment for one of his classes.

“I’m sure there are other recitals that can make up for it, but I play tennis so we will be gone a lot,” Vijayaraman said. “I had to come today because this was the only week I could do it, but since it’s cancelled I don’t know what I’m going to do. I hope my professor says that I don’t have to do it, but if not then I will have to come for another day.”

For those who missed the recital Tuesday night, Morrow shared several other recitals that can be attended within the next two weeks.

• Symphonic Band and Jazz Ensemble performs Thursday April 19 at 7:30 p.m. in Akin Auditorium. 
  • Wichita Falls Youth Orchestra performs Sunday April 22 at 4 p.m. in Akin Auditorium.
  • Celebration of Scholarship, wind ensemble and university orchestra, performs Thursday April 26 at 7:30 p.m. in Akin Auditorium.

The Wichitan • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Wichitan Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *