Greeks compete in dodgeball tournament

Tyler Manning, Editor

As part of the catalog of events for Greek Week, members of various sororities and fraternities on campus competed in a bracket-style dodgeball tournament April 11.

Throughout the week, the Greek groups on campus have been split up into 4 competing teams: alpha, beta, delta and gamma and will compete in various challenges to overcome the others.

The Teams

Team Alpha

• Alpha Phi, Kappa Sigma, Kappa Delta Chi, Alpha Kappa Alpha

Team Beta

• Chi Omega, Kappa Alpha Order, Delta Sigma Theta

Team Delta

• Sigma Kappa, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Omega Delta Phi

Team Gamma

• Gamma Phi Beta, Tau Kappa Epsilon, Sigma Nu, Sigma Lambda

For the dodgeball tournament, each team was required to have two different orders to compete in each bracket. Since alpha and gamma only had one team prepared for the tournament, they only played in one bracket.

Beta team II was ultimately the winning team of the event, beating delta team I.

On the winning team, Alonzo Burris, exercise physiology senior, said he the event was fun and liked how it brought members of Greek Life together.

“It was really fun how we could incorporate all the Greeks onto campus into something as fun as dodgeball,” Burris said. “It was really tiring, I didn’t think it would be this competitive. Dodgeball is a really competitive sport, so I am glad I was able to come out.”

Samantha Burrows, radiology junior, said she was happy to play with friends.

“It was pretty fun, it was a lot of hard work to beat the winning team, but I was just happy to play with my sisters and the fraternities,” Burrows said.

Campus community is evidnent in activities like this, and Colton Shank, nursing junior and one of the referees for the event, said the event was a lot of fun.

“It was really fun. It was good for all the Greek communities to come together and just play a tournament together, have fun and show a little bit of competitiveness with each other,” Shanks said.

The Game Brackets

Team I Bracket

• Gamma I vs. Alpha I
    • Winner: Alpha I
  • Delta I vs. Beta I
    • Winner: Delta I
  • Delta I vs. Alpha I
    • Winner: Delta I

Team II Bracket

• Delta II vs. Beta II
    • Winner: Beta II

Championship Game

• Delta I vs. Beta II
    • Winner: Delta I