Art department hosts state-wide high school art show

kristin silva

The opening of the MWSU High School Art Show, Feb. 3, 2018. Photo by Treston Lacy

Some 300 works of art by high school students were submitted from 15 different high schools as part of the 27th Annual MSU High School Art Show hosted by the art department.

“Usually 100 to 150 people come,” Gary Goldberg, professor of art and gallery director, said. “It’s heavily high school students, teachers and parents.”

Goldberg said this show, with submissions from all across Texas for the first time, is a great opportunity for the university to support high school students’ talents and recognize good quality work.

Art instructor from Hirschi High School, Tommy Evans had 12 students enter their art work and some even had two entries.

“We had four awards,” Evans said. “We won in painting, printmaking, [placed] third in drawing and [received] honorable mention in multimedia.”

Evans said he is extremely proud of his students at Hirschi High.

“We did incredible work,” Evans said. “I’m glad that they’re celebrating for it.”

Father, Andy Longo, said he and his daughter drove up from Lewisville, Texas to see her entries in the competition. He said she is interested in attending MSU because the professors in the art department have made her feel so welcomed.

Jacob Keifer and Rozarious Bell, both art seniors at Sabine High School, discussed their thoughts on various MSU art pieces hanging on the walls of the C-wing in the Fain College of Fine Arts building.

high school art show 2018

Rozarious Bell, a senior at Sabine High School, and Jacob Keifer, also a senior at Sabine High School, look at artwork before the opening of the MWSU High School Art Show, Feb. 3, 2018. Photo by Treston Lacy
Danny Ferguson came from Burkburnett to see his daughter's work in the opening of the MWSU High School Art Show, Feb. 3, 2018. Photo by Treston Lacy
at the opening of the MWSU High School Art Show, Feb. 3, 2018. Photo by Treston Lacy
From Lewisville, Andy Longo, whose daughter compete in the show, looks at artwork at the opening of the MWSU High School Art Show, Feb. 3, 2018. Photo by Treston Lacy