Students ‘Just Dance’ the night away at UPB event March 30

Cortney Wood

University Programming Board members Kenadi Campbell and Nikatha Conlay compete in Just Dance battle at Just Dance Dance Off March 30.

Even before anyone reached the Legacy Multipurpose Room, the steady rhythm of a song pulsed through the entry way and invited dancers to join the University Programming Board event. Neon decorations scattered throughout the room complemented the colorful music videos that played overhead on the projection screen. Laughter erupted from the audience as Maria Pinzon, chemistry freshman, and Devin Osting, radiology freshman, danced to the classic “(I’ve Had) The Time Of My Life” by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes while the crowd shouted ooh-ed and aw-ed as they performed the classic Dirty Dancing sequence.

For a night full of fun, UPB members hosted a “Just Dance-Dance Off” for students to compete in singles, group, couples and Ultimate Dancer competitions on March 30. Between competition, “free dance” was offered to get as many laughs in the time frame as possible before members raffled off the prizes — two Just Dance video games.

Savannah Luna, late night and weekend chair, said events are centered around student interest and through that, members can create events that generate genuine public interest. After the night’s success, Luna said this will probably become an annual event for UPB.

My friend Kenadi Campbell and I play Just Dance all the time — we know all of the dances,” Luna said. “We thought if we love it, then other people probably like it too, and overall, the people that came to the event had fun and made it a successful night. Next year it’s going to grow even more.”

During the competitions, Luna said it was “hilarious to see people have friendly beef” with one another to win the battles.

The board organizes university programs that are free for students and administration, and according to Ruby Arriaga, UPB advisor and coordinator of student activities, this event was one of the lower-cost events.

“This whole event cost less than $150, even with the give away,” Arriaga said. “It wasn’t a costly event at all. It was a pretty good crowd and everyone that came seemed to really enjoy themselves, and that’s what we want.”

Around 35 people came to the dance-off and Arriaga said that was the ideal size for a smaller event to make sure there is enough space for everyone. The purpose of the events, Arriaga said, is for people to come and enjoy the events put on and provide input on what UPB should do next.

“We have bunch of little events in between our big events, and next Tuesday we are having national Ramen day where we are going to give out Ramen noodles, which is low budget/no budget,” Arriaga said. “Then we are going to give out Pay-Days for equal pay to bring social awareness.”

According to Arriaga, the next “huge event” UPB is putting on is the annual week-long event, Humans Vs. Zombies, which starts April 17. Students can sign up within the next couple of weeks for the campus wide hunt.