Local carpenter carves future out of art industry

Chris Marten

[vimeo 163327086 w=640 h=360]

Local carpenter carves a future out of the art industry from MWSU Campus Watch on Vimeo.

Joshua Bradley is a local carpenter and Wichita Falls native whose artwork is now being showcased across Texas and Oklahoma.

Bradley said he decided to combine his passion for woodwork with his passion for drawing by using tools to shave and scrape away portions of wood to create carvings.

“I’ve always been someone who drew or escaped by art,” Bradley said. “It’s really nice to take blocks of wood and turn them into something that can be admired.”

Bradley is a graduate of Rider High School and said he initially had future plans that didn’t involve carving.

“I took some classes at VRJC for computer-aided graphic design and didn’t pursue it anymore,” Bradley said. “I’ve always liked wood.”

Bradley’s first show was at the Kemp Center for the Arts, but has since had shows at Oklahoma City Community College and been featured at the Santa Fe Plaza, along with a show called Davis & Blevins, The Main Street Gallery in Saint Jo, Texas.

Bradley and other western artists were featured at the J.S. Bridwell Agricultural Center for Cowboy True on April 1 – 2. Bradley himself will participate in the Arts For All Festival on May 13 in Lawton, Oklahoma.

Video by Chris Marten including photos by Joshua Bradley.