Student government reps discuss proposed fee increases

Guest speaker, Suzanne Shipley, University President, spoke about future plans for Midwestern State University at the Student Government Association in CSC Comanche Nov. 17, 2015. Photo by Francisco Martinez

Francisco Martinez

Francisco Martinez

Rachel Johnson

At the first student government meeting of the semester, university officials unveiled increased student fees to begin next year.

“It’s only a 2.5 percent increase and it’s a package deal. They are bringing in a lot more stuff like IT software and a centralized tutoring center,” Thomas Mammen, biology sophomore and SGA member, said.

Current students will see an overall increase of 2.5 percent. Incoming students will get hit with a 3.4 percent increase for everything but parking permits. The parking permits are not included in the totals, but will increase in cost by 40 percent — from $50 to $70.

In addition, fee increases will pay for a new 244-spot parking lot where the free-play field is now located beside the West Campus Annex.

“It’s a necessary evil to take out that free play field for parking,” Mammen said.

The university service fee will be increased from $60.25 to $66.25 per credit hour, capping out at $90. The student service fee will be increased from $15.50 to $17.05 per credit hour, capping out at $250, costing a student taking 12 credit hours an additional $18.60/semester.

In part, the fees will be used toward new IT work software to help school officials calculate the exact number of courses needed for each class for a semester.

The fees will also go towards a new Office of Equality and Diversity Student Affair Services, which will deal directly diversity issues around campus, including discrimination.

“Honestly if you remember [about the discriminating posts against a student] with Marco, then they could’ve handled it. It may bring more diversity and it would make a less discriminating campus, especially when we have a broad range of students,” Mammen said.

The new fees will also fund a centralized tutoring center, providing job opportunities for students who want to become tutors.

“Most campuses have a centralized tutoring center, so if I need help with math then science, I don’t have to go from one building to another. It would save time,” Mammen said.