Comments (58)

All The Wichitan Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• AnonymousFeb 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Found this on line:
    Exceptions to free speech in the United States are limitations on the First Amendment’s guarantee of free speech and expression as recognized by the United States Supreme Court. These exceptions have been created over time, based on certain types of speech and expression, and under different contexts. While freedom of speech in the United States is a constitutional right, these exceptions make that right a somewhat limited one.
    Restrictions that are based off communicative impact include both instances of a complete exception, and cases of diminished protection. Speech that involves incitement, false statements of fact, obscenity, child pornography, offensive speech, threats, and speech owned by others are all completely exempt from First Amendment protections. Commercial advertising receives diminished protection but that still means that there is some limit on government intervention.
    Along with communicative restrictions, when the government acts as subsidizer or speaker, is an employer, controls education, or regulates the mail, airwaves, legal bar, military, prisons, or immigration, less protection is afforded for uninhibited speech.

Perhaps someone found the sign to be “offensive speech” just like in the Exceptions to the first amendment.
    Did Anastasia have credentials showing she worked for the newspaper? Did she have a “press pass”?
    Or was she sitting in the “student section” holding up an offensive sign to people that could see it as a student of MSU?
    Perhaps alumni or a mother with a small child found the sign to be offensive and asked for the sign to not be displayed. Mr.Carr and Mrs.Halvorsen were just doing their job.
    Now was the “reporter” at work that day? Or was she being a student at a basketball game?

Reply
  • W

Wesley HollingsworthFeb 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I personally could care less if people post anonymously. If I attach a name to a post does it mean I actually am that person. Other than my reputation and syntax gathered from personal experience how do you know if this really is Wesley Hollingsworth?
    Some argue that the anonymity of the internet is what powers it, keeps it fresh with new ideas, and even protects those who use it.
    I am not personally putting my stamp of approval of everyone’s comments, some of them are pretty pathetic(yeah I said it). BUT if they feel the need to post without attaching a name, more power to them.
    Think of the power of a name for a second. Before women’s rights why did women authors write under pseudonyms? In part because they knew that they’re writings would not be taken seriously otherwise.
    Anonymity on the internet allows for those that have an idea they need to express to not have that name change the idea.
    Now back to the main point. I completely agree with your statement about 1st Amendment rights. This is a slippery slope and I’d love to see the likes of the Mass Comm dept. push the issue to the limit(looking at you mass comm. law). Maybe its time for a Puck Farking protest again….
    I do not think that the band is given more freedoms than the crowd in any way. There are certain lines that the band cannot cross. In many ways the band is limited in what it can and cannot say and do. The band regularly is given “pep talks” about cheering for OUR team rather than harping on the opposition.

Reply
  • W

Wesley HollingsworthFeb 22, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Maybe some people want to be able to express their sentiments without repercussion(like MSU faculty, or even students directly involved with the athletics program).
    Unfortunately not everyone can free ball it and expect nothing to come back on them. Try speaking frankly in this kind of atmosphere at your workplace….You run the risk of getting fired. Doesn’t make it right, just a fact. It happens all the time, all over the place.

So get over yourself and add something to the conversation or go away…

just saying.

Reply
    • J

Joshua ScribnerFeb 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Ok Wes, I will bite. I know that anonymous comments are what the internet is based on. But to me, its unfair for someone to attack Miss Reed personally, as an individual because of what she wrote. Whether you agree or disagree with her sign getting taken away, its no excuse for as many people to be rude to her as have been in some of these comments. To me, telling her that she doesn’t know what it takes to commit to something or questioning her journalistic integrity on an opinion piece, and then being anonymous is the equivilent of talking behind her back.

To the point about the sign, personally it did not offend me, and certainly compared to Tarleton’s crowd is nothing amazingly obscene, however if it was to someone else, under the 1st Amendment rights we all enjoy, she had the right to hold it. My issue is once you start limiting free speech, you put yourself on a slippery slope. Who gets the final say? Eventually you have to get rid of everything because it all offends someone. I feel like we get a lot of priviledge and freedom in the band, and I wish everyone was also allowed that same freedom. I didn’t feel that Monday. I will reinterate that we have a great school, great athletic teams and a great administration. But as any athlete will tell you, there’s always room for improvement.

Reply
  • J

Joshua ScribnerFeb 22, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I posted this on her response article, but I would just like to say, if you have something to say on this story, you should man up and put your name to it. Don’t hide behind the anonymous shield. If you really feel this way, you should put your actual name next to your statement. It makes you look gutless. Just saying.

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 22, 2012 at 2:17 AM

It was just a sign.
    Wasn’t causing anyone any harm.
    And if you were offended by it, you need to open your eyes and realize that you have a lot more to be offended by than a stupid sign. Psh, I remember when I was in Jr. High.

Oh, and btw…PUCK FURPLE. 😀

Reply
  • M

Mr. JusticeFeb 20, 2012 at 10:41 AM

This is not about ushers, or signs, or angry students. This article is ultimately about school spirit. Sure, Mass Comm students are pretty much all snotty and entitled because that’s what news people do. They make a story of things. And yes, the University is doing what it thinks is best to preserve the image of upstanding citizenship and classiness, despite appearing to be the personification of “big brother” silencing the youths and whatnot. Sillyness. What this article about, is the lack of school spirit. Our university refuses to develop a feeling of spirit down to a day-to-day basis. Telling students to take a backseat to athletes who don’t really care, and making them put away offensive signs is secondary. The truth in this is that NO ONE stays in Wichita Falls when they graduate. IF they graduate. They youthfulness, and excitement, and energy of this town is gone, nonexistent… it’s just not here. The population of 23-28ish people is nothing compared to other towns similar to the Falls. Why? Why is it like this? No one cares. That’s why. Students go here, and we have to FORCE them to walk the stage, otherwise no one would go to graduation. Students want to get out of here as fast as they can. This is a college town, with 4 CHURCHES right across the street from the university. What we need is not a complaint about the first amendment. What we need is a new way of thinking, a desire to back our university, our town, our home, and not want to get out of here as fast as we can. We need school spirit. We need town spirit. We. Need. Spirit. When that happens, you can resume bickering about who took your sign with bad words on it.

Reply
    • M

Mass Comm StudentFeb 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Mass Comm students aren’t snotty or entitled. And yes, I agree, we need a new vibe to come from our city. But your generalizations aren’t helping your point.

These generalizations part of the problem, not the solution.

Reply
  • C

cowherdFeb 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM

MSU sucks………..it really sucks. This school is a ghost town on weekends. Ban cars on campus for a week n let students walk around town. That will give a sign that there is a “university” in town.
    As far as trash talking is concern, lets keep it rowdy. We are kids, let us enjoy till we hit 22 n graduate n leave this chit hole behind.
    And MSU sucks, did i say that already?

Reply
    • AnonymousFeb 22, 2012 at 2:18 AM

True story.

Reply
  • J

JasonFeb 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM

It’s Democratic “ushers” like yourself that keep students from attending Division 2 Universities.

Reply
  • T

teheheFeb 19, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Finally an article that gets the student body reading! For a moment there I didn’t think they could.. probably why they couldn’t understand puck furple isn’t cursing.

Reply
  • Y

your point 2?Feb 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM

3. if my mom asks me “if your friends jump off a bridge, would you do it?” I would say “depends on how high the bridge is.”

Reply
    • AnonymousFeb 22, 2012 at 2:21 AM

People jump off bridges all the time. It’s called bungee jumping.

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 17, 2012 at 6:42 PM

1. I saw Anastasia was an RA… this means she gets to live on campus for free. She signed up to do a job that got incentives. The student athletes do a job just like Anastasia does…in return they get incentives. It goes both ways.
    2. I know your parents always said “if your friend jump of a bridge would you do it?”… just because their fans are rude doesn’t mean MSU fans need to do the same.

Reply
    • Y

Your Point?Feb 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM

1. RA’s EARN their housing. It’s not free.

2. What does that have to do with this column?!

Reply
  • J

JPFeb 17, 2012 at 4:42 PM

This is getting so out of hand it’s funny. The reason the ‘Puck furple ‘ sign was used is because it was asked for by the players as a parody of the puck farking protest from my freshman year. I don’t see the problem with giving our most hated rival a taste of their own medicine as they dance on our court, lift their shirts, wave their flags on our court last year, and play dirty along with other things. It’s school spirit and we need more of it. It shouldn’t take mandatory attendance for anyone for people to come and support. Both the men and women’s teams are playing well and I believe we’ve earned to have people come watch. All I have to say is I’m proud of Anastasia, my team thanks her, and I’m sure the entire mass communication department is pleased with her. Hope when we play those burple pitches again in the tournament everyone is free to enthusiastically support in anyway they would like that doesn’t disturb the MSU team. Disturb the kids in purple all you want!

Reply
  • B

Boo Sack NoodleFeb 17, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I wish I could just “like” some of these comments, but since I can’t I’ll just say how I feel. First of all, let me attack the “Puck Furple” sign issue. The adults that attend the games most likely don’t know what the signs mean nor do they care. They are there to watch the game and cheer MSU on so I feel like students should be able to bring whatever signs they please to the games as long as it’s not too crazy. Next, I have nothing against student athletes but I do not like the fact that they had a whole section blocked off for them. I know it’s only been like that for one game, but that one game happened to be the best game of the season so far. I was at the top with an awesome view but I would have loved to be at the bottom where I usually sit. The seats should always be a first come first serve kind of thing. There was also something said about attending both women’s and men’s games. I am a female and I played basketball in high school and have seen very interesting games, but the girls games here are so boring unless the freshman are in the game playing with #1 (I think her name is Ashley). If they’re not playing, I don’t even want to watch. The last thing I want to comment on is the whole “keeping it classy” issue. If you attend MSU games regularly, you would know that the MSU crowd is not the one to act out and be infantile for no reason. It was our RIVAL school. There will be cussing, yelling, and just flat out childish behavior. We are college students and young adults so if anyone’s offended by it, they shouldn’t attend a rival game…duh…If I would have known that I wasn’t going to able to talk trash at a college game, I would have stayed in high school were I know it’s allowed…that is all. Kbyeee(:

Reply
    • AnonymousFeb 22, 2012 at 2:23 AM

I love this.

Reply
  • A

AnonymousFeb 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM

To Disappointed:
    This is not an article, it is a column. It is her opinion, and it is supposed to be biased in HER opinion. This was Anastasia’s view on what happened and how she felt about it. It is a venting session for one person, but there are many people that feel the same way. Get over it.

Reply
  • C

ChristopherFeb 17, 2012 at 1:40 PM

The story is about how students wanted to support their college basketball team and weren’t allowed to support them the way they wanted to. Athletes are appreciated, students who aren’t athletes are appreciated, and the administration is respected for the most part. Everything in this article is fact, excluding the part about the student athletes skipping study hall. Ms. Reed didn’t write that part correctly. What she meant was that they weren’t required to go to study hall at the same time as usual because they were required to go to the men’s basketball game. She only spoke on athletes for about 2-3 sentences. 95% of the story is about her first amendment right not being adhered to.

Reply
  • D

DisappointedFeb 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

To those of you who say the athletes shouldn’t get involved… How is the story NOT about them?? If your going to write a story as controversial as this than you better get your facts straight. The athletes were still expected to go to study hall. Which I believe is not required for students. AND no one is complaining about how much athletes have to do. The subject was brought up and they are just defending themselves. I know for a fact our athletes take pride in what they do and support each other just as much as most non-athletes. How can you be complaining that there were too many people at the basketball game? Shouldn’t it make you happy the coliseum was full?? This isn’t even a story, it’s a venting session for one person. You didn’t even look into getting some facts straight. I know there were teams there for both men and the women’s game. And there was no study hall missed. It is not the athletes fault that they were required to sit in one area. But would you really know if athletes were there at other games? They don’t usually match and sit in one place. I think instead of bashing one of the biggest parts of your schools you should support all teams instead of just one. You got to sit in the student section. Why don’t you try going to all sports and not just the indoor ones? I’m not saying athletes are better than anyone else by any means but at least give them the respect you are giving all other students. Wouldn’t it have been nice to see more non-athletes at the game?? Thought so…
    Sincerely,
    Disappointed

Reply
  • S

Stop whiningFeb 17, 2012 at 3:14 AM

Cry baby athletes shut it! You knew what you signed up for so stop playing victim. Quit begging for sympathy bc you think you “work hard.” You playing in a D2 gym isn’t exactly meaningful by any means. Enjoy what you do – don’t use it as an excuse to make yourself feel more important than you are. Y’all are just students that arre in athletics and likely majoring in junk hoping to make it big which is unlikely. Focus on education..

Reply
    • B

been going to games for 6 yearsFeb 17, 2012 at 5:01 AM

It DOES NOT matter who got to sit where…If you were that concerned about it you would’ve shown up early and got good seats.They had something special planned for ONE game to honor a group of students that work very hard to play the sports we enjoy watching.
      I really appreciate what our athletes do and I wouldn’t mind giving up my seat for ONE game so they can be recognized.
      The real problem that this comment thread seems to be overlooking is how the administration treats the student body.
      I know for a fact that the athletics dept. is continually trying to find ways to get the student body into the games. In fact there are meetings on a regular basis just for this purpose. What they need to realize is that they will not get EVERYTHING their way. You can have fanatical fans that sometimes don’t represent the university the way you think they should OR you can have a student body that is not really interested in the games but have full control of the image of the university in the games…..
      PICK ONE and stick with it!!!

Reply
  • M

Maroon TyphoonFeb 16, 2012 at 11:36 PM

So an athlete wants wants to be cut some slack? I feel like damn near every athlete has been “cut slack” since the beginning of time. I’ve always felt from the beginning MSU has their priorities screwed as far as students and “athletes.”

Last time I checked, being a non-athletic student shouldn’t classify me as a second class citizen. But of course, at good ol’ MSU you definitely are. That was probably one of the many selfish and stupid things I’ve seen an athlete write in awhile. Then again, “athlete” and “write” seems like an oxymoron.

As far as the “sportsmanship” bit, what about school spirit? One of the pro’s to this is the out-pour of support students were even showing besides during the holy mecca which is football season. What “critics” failed to realize this is all in good rivalry fun and they’re trying to demean “fun.” The usher really needed to take the stick out of her ass and lighten up. It’s not like Obama was riding in on a horse to watch the game.

People need to chill out.

Reply
  • W

Waste of timeFeb 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM

It doesn’t seem like she’s mad at athletes. I believe the problem she had was with the administration. If you are an athlete and this doesn’t pertain to you then why are you wasting your time commenting?

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I am a student athlete and I have a few things to stay:
    1. I go to all basketball games that I can and I am not apart of the Volleyball team. I even go to away games that I can attend.
    2. Students athletes were required to sit there but most of it was filled by parents, and students unable to read and respect the signs. I actually perfer to sit on the top levels but was forced to move down.
    3. My team was at the womens game too.
    4. Study hall was moved up and nobody skipped. Learn your facts!
    5. Each team has to clean the gym after a game at least twice a season. I don’t see any other organizations cleaning up.
    6. We were allowed to leave after we were announced and most of us continued to stay. Believe it or not we do like to watch the games and support our teams just as much as non athletes. Sometimes we just have a lot to do.
    7. I understand Anastasia has a lot to do also but that doesn’t mean she can talked bad about us. It’s not like we put up the signs and reserved it for ourseleves.
    #enoughsaid

Reply
  • F

Fellow AthleteFeb 16, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Before you whine about not being able to sit where you wanted to, maybe you should ask your basketball players that you seem to love so much how awesome it felt to have the coliseum full. The spirit here is not awesome by any means, and I’m sure that most athletes would agree with me that we work very hard, and would love to have all teams come to our games. Required or not. So while you’re whining about your seat, maybe you should think to yourself maybe they put us there because we would be loud and cheer for our team with enthusiasm than you have been trying to show. and failing.

Reply
    • AnonymousFeb 17, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Seriously? Strength in numbers. If the fellow teams would show up to support (as well as the student body), we wouldn’t have to make events like this mandatory. What does it matter if the team sits together? That doesn’t make them louder.

Reply
  • T

Tiffany TarwaterFeb 16, 2012 at 9:21 PM

If MSU desires to encourage students to represent their school tastefully, they are entitled to do so. However, forcing the students to represent the administration’s viewpoint at an event that is open to the public is distasteful. I wouldn’t display a sign that said ‘Puck Furple,’ but who cares if Anastasia does. Does it cause harm to anyone?
    The First Amendment does entitle Anastasia to peacefully protest the treatment of MSU students by Tarleton fans as long as it does not threaten or harm the fans. Often we are taught in our classes that peaceful protests are beneficial and necessary for a healthy democracy, but the administration seems really upset that students want to display their own opinions. It is not illegal to upset anyone, including the administration.
    I’m assuming that the university is scared that students might offend the athletic boosters or embarrass MSU donors. Regardless, the administrators are not entitled to choose how students behave in their personal lives.
    On many occasions I have been very offended by material that was shown in my classes or on campus, but real “maturity” is acknowledging the fact that you can’t control anyone or take away their right to express their ideas without demeaning the values our country was founded on. The only reason the ‘Puck Furple’ sign could have harmed anyone is if it impeded their view of the game.
    One of the many definitions of obscene is “language deemed offensive in polite conversation.” Any public event is going to host people who have very different views of what is appropriate and what is not. The audience is an important factor in determining whether the expression is offensive. I hear the word ‘f**k’ often around campus, even in polite, non-threatening, conversation by administrators, professors, and students. Clearly, the university doesn’t promote the right for students to express their ideas free from condemnation or bullying.
    Whether Anastasia’s message was tasteful in Ms. Halvorsen or Mr. Carr’s opinion does not apply here. MSU should have allowed her to hold the sign. While Ms. Halvorsen has the right to refute Anastasia’s viewpoint, she does not have the right to impose upon Anastasia’s first amendment right to publish her opinions online. It appears that she is threatening or putting pressure on Anastasia’s ability to express her ideas through intimidation tactics.
    While an individual can refute the details of the situation to defend their honor, they cannot legally stop anyone from expressing their feelings through media outlets.

Reply
  • C

ChrisFeb 16, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Next week make a sign that says, ‘F*** Nancy Halvorsen!” Just a thought.

This comment has been edited by administration.

Reply
    • S

Shauna KennedyFeb 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Or how about not? Nancy Halvorsen did what she was required to do: reminded a young woman that she had already been asked to not display the sign. If you disagree with that, fine. This is the perfect venue to come and express your feelings. However, hiding behind a one word name and attacking Nancy helps no one. She did nothing out of line.

Reply
  • Y

You Don't Even KnowFeb 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM

For those of you upset about what Anastasia wrote, must not have been to the Tarleton game AT Tarleton. There crowd is ruthless. They look up every single players background. They will dig so far into each players past to get information to humiliate and try to destroy what positive mentality the players have. What’s the point in crowding the dome if you have to sit at a basketball game and sit like your in church. Sports is a time for fans to get rowdy. MSU’s reputation isn’t going to be destroyed by one game. The women’s game, in which this incident occurred, could have used a little bit more rowdiness, considering the other Athletic teams were only told to attend the men’s game. What makes the men’s team more important than the women’s team. NOTHING! So since administrations are only going to block off reserved seats, do it for the guys game, not the girls. That way anyone who is there for the girls can sit where ever they want, and shouldn’t have to move. Student-Athletes I agree have it hard, but not enough that they all have to sit together. Not all of them come to the games on a regular basis anyways. They can walk down a flight of stairs to get to the court when they are announced. As for the Puck Furple sign, wasn’t it a few years ago students sold shirts that said Puck Farking? if students are allowed to sell those, but fans can’t hold a sign, MSU is seriously Pucked Fup. We as students should be able to give Tarleton a taste of there own medicine. There is no harm in school rivalry! Let us be legit fans and cheer for MSU it’s not like we were cheering against our own school. If MSU fans have a problem, they need to realize they are coming to a COLLEGE game, this aint church!

Reply
  • C

Cameron ThompsonFeb 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Got a kid that plays for MSU women team. If we see tarleton again in the conference tournament bring Me the Puck Purple signs. I Will Use them.

Reply
  • B

been going to games for 6 yearsFeb 16, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Although I don’t really care for “puck furple”. I don’t think it should be this big of an issue. But this is a symptom of the larger issue at MSU. The administration is AFRAID of the student body. They want the crowd into the games but want to tightly control the way they are in the game. They want div.1 fans but want div.2 control over each situation. Can’t have both …..

Reply
  • A

AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 4:58 PM

First off I agree with the rivalry…it’s college sports we’re talking about.
    Now for my real point. The “student athlete” section was a complete joke. No I am not a student athlete, but I am in a sorority on campus. We have most stuff in common with student athletes. Except your practices are community service to us. We have to maintain a certain gpa, plus do study hours also. Nobody needs special reserved seating, as long as we are cheering on our school.

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM

I stopped going to athletic games because over the years they put so many restrictions on what you can say, wear, and bring to the game. It’s a shame. Games aren’t as fun to attend, or at least they don’t live up to the experiences I’ve had at games years ago.

Reply
  • A

AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I agree with both sides- sure it’s a rivalry so lets get spirited and have signs! I think we do need to keep it classy though. Sure its college and we’re around inappropriate things all the time, but think about the alumni and grandparents there- that’s not stuff they want to see. I’m a student and I don’t want to see inappropriate things! I think there are other ways to show your spirit, so let’s keep it nice. We don’t have to bash the other team, just show spirit and pride for our own.

As far as the athletic section though, I don’t agree with that. It was unnecessary. However, I disagree with the statement that athletes and regular students are just as busy. Try adding regular school work with 2 practices a day (barely fitting meals in) AND study hall 3 times a week plus team meetings and required events. Regular students go to the games because they want to and can afford the time to do so whereas athletes were required to (we still wanted to and we’re glad we went!) but imagine being required to do that stuff when we also have a lot of stuff to do.

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 9:11 AM

So you want to stoop to their level? Sounds good. Way to keep it classy MSU.

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 2:41 AM

The sign was inappropriate because if someone misread it, it could be taken the wrong way? Really? It’s suddenly her fault if someone can’t read? She’s meant to take responsibility for that? I guess books are going to start getting more scarce since apparently authors are now responsible for how their material is interpreted. Maybe she kept asking “why” because your answer wasn’t good enough. I know I wouldn’t have put my sign down “because it’s inappropriate”. She’s a college student; we’re allowed to be a little inappropriate. Did the first ammendment change? Does it say we have free speech unless someone misinterprets it and gets offended?

Reply
  • A

AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM

It was just a sign! Other universities have t-shirts made! CALM DOWN USHER WOMAN! I applaud Anastasia for having the audacity to stand up for what she believes in.

A blow towards UCLA- http://www.ducktees.com/shirts/fucla/
    A blow towards Rice University- http://skreened.com/cougars/ruck-fice
    A blow towards University of Texas- http://aggielandoutfitters.com/8090-9/mens/tops/t-shirts/mens/tuck-fexas*.html

I’d go on, but I think you get the point.

Reply
  • P

Puck FurpleFeb 16, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I’ve never seen people get so crazy over a girl with a little school spirit…c’mon people……

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Censorship like this is the reason America is going down the drain.

Reply
  • A

AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I never saw the signs, but I did see Spiderman. Kudos to you spiderman (woman?) way to show some appropriate spirit.

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Make sure you get your facts straight before you write an article. The athletes were not “allowed” to miss study hall. It was held at a different time during the day. And not every athletic team was acknowledged at half time.Only the fall sports who went to post season play were acknowledged. I understand how you can be upset that yall didn’t get your normal seats but we were just doing as we were told to by our coaches. I agree most athletes don’t come out to support the other teams unless they are forced to,but cut us some slack…we are much busier than you think! I love supporting my fellow athletes whenever I can but is it possible for us to make every game? Certainly not.

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM

As an athlete for MSU, I would want our fans to be wild and crazy to a certain extent. I approve of the “Puck Furple” sign. Its a rivalry. Trash talking is allowed. This isn’t a damn polo match in england… its college sports. Let students celebrate and cheer us on. Leave the damn rulebook in the classroom.

Reply
  • AnonymousFeb 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Just throwing in an anonymous opinion because I think it’s relevant. As far as MSU Student Code of Conduct and the Student handbook being all about respect and whatnot…because that’s a pretty standard thing at most University’s I would say. Is it upheld there as well? Doubt it…I rest my case. This is college sports people! Get used to it.

Reply
  • A

AnonymousFeb 15, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Go Nancy!

Reply
  • N

Nancy HalvorsenFeb 15, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Ms. Reed: This is the usher that “confronted” you, Nancy Halvorsen. Unfortunately you have mistaken school spirit with what you feel is an entitlement, the use of imflamatory grammer. There are first admendment rights, and then there is the twisted abuse of the English language. As you gain maturity and wisdom, you will understand support for your team does not include juxtaposed charged jargon directed against the opposing team.
    You did not mention that BEFORE I approached you, you were told by MSU Athletics authorities to not display the sign BEFORE the games got undway because the sign was deemed offensive by regular MSU baskeball patrons.
    You forgot to mention that you asked me no less than four times why you could not display the sign to which my answer was the same “it is inappropriate” every time except the last time when I told you that the sign could be taken the wrong way when read. As for me becoming aggravated, I believe that I had made myself quite clear the first time you asked “why?”. Would you have become aggravated when repeatedly being asked the question “why?” as if by an immature child to which the answer had already been provided?
    To quote the Student Handbook, page 5, Our Values bullet number five states “Mutual respect, civility, and cooperation” of which you did not display mutual respect or civility for our visitors, both out of town and local, by holding up your inappropriate sign regardless of who asked you to display it.
    To quote the Code of Student Conduct, under Standards of Conduct, located the Student Handbook, paragraph 24, page 79 “Actions Against Persons or Groups: Midwestern State University prohibits acts of physical or emotional abuse; obscene conduct or expression; harassment, intimidation, or bulling; and terroristic threats. These behaviors, like other disruptive or violent behaviors, are conduct that disrupts both a student’s ability to learn and a school’s ability to educate it students in a safe environment. These behaviors toward any person are prohibited, whether in the classroom, on University property, at University-sponsored events or in cyber-space.” Shall I go on, or do you understand my point?
    Ms. Reed, a small bit of advice, be wary of what and how you protest.

Reply
    • P

PUCK FURPLEFeb 16, 2012 at 1:27 AM

YUCK POU.

Reply
    • W

Who are you to judge?Feb 16, 2012 at 2:32 AM

It was meant to be a night of giving the TSU fans a little bit of what they gave us. It’s called a rivalry, every school has one and every school gets a little crazy when it comes to them. Sure, it is immature. But really? What else is being a sports fan about?!

And partially quoting the handbook doesn’t help. It doesn’t back up your point. It’s all about how you interpret it. Let me quote something from the handbook, “FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION: Freedom of discussion, inquiry, and expression is fostered by an environment in which the privileges of citizenship are protected and the obligations of citizenship are understood.”

So we have freedom of expression but not freedom to hold a sign up that contains “juxtaposed charged jargon directed against the opposing team.”

Let me throw another quote from the handbook in here, “Students are free to engage in peaceful and orderly protest, demonstration, and picketing which do not disrupt functions of the university.” So this tells me that as long as the demonstration of the hatred of the opposing team wasn’t disrupting the game, it’s allowed. Last I checked, no one was running around the court or taking time away from the game to do this.

Sure, maybe Anastasia didn’t report the story with such clarity that you may have been able to, but that is no reason to demean her and call her immature on a public site. She never mentioned your name, only that you were the usher. You are one of the few who were offended by her actions.

Reply
      • P

PUCK FURPLEFeb 16, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Amen.

Reply
    • AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I completely agree with Nancy. Respect and good sportsmanship, no matter the rivalry, should be expected at any public event or game. I know this first hand, because I am one of the athletes you so mentioned in your article, and I have many experiences of inappropriate conduct from another team. Although the girls game was not required, I know many athletic teams (including my own), that showed up to support them as well as the men’s team. It is true that they had a very large section blocked off for the athletes, but if I recall correctly, I saw more people who were not athletes in that section than those that were, including you. I understand why you think that you were wronged by the seating situation (even though you sat in that section anyway), but I cannot fathom why you think it would not be inappropriate to hold up signs with offensive language that insinuated expletives. No, the signs did not say the expletive outright, but the meaning is the same. It’s not called “infringing on your rights,” it’s called having real school pride- the kind that you can be proud of.

Reply
      • I

I Love My UniversityFeb 16, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I am a student here at MSU and I always go to the games. When I’m there, I only seen the Women’s Volleyball team at the Women’s Basketball games. That is the only MSU athletic team I see that supports both MSU basketball teams. The Tarleton game was the biggest game of the year and it’s not right for the whole student section to be reserved for athletes only. I indeed was sitting in the student section and I didn’t care that it said reserved. I go to 90% of the games and in this case I do deserve those seats. I even went to the Tarleton game in Stephenville, Texas. The overall point I’m trying to make is that athletes are no more special than any other student that attends MSU. Stop trying to save face and say that MSU Athletics attend both games because excluding the Women’s Volleyball team, they don’t. I’m not trying to bash MSU Athletics, but you are no more busy than any other student who contributes to the university in things other than sports. Next time why don’t they reserve seats for students with a 3.0 or higher.

Reply
        • F

FootBallCrazyyFeb 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM

As an MSU athlete, it’s so irritating when everything we do is over-looked. Yeah, we’re all students, but what makes us different from you is we are STUDENT-ATHLETES! We have to maintain good grades just 2 be eligible to play. You have no idea the type of committment it takes to be apart of a team. The sport alone is time consuming, don’t forget class, and let’s remember all of us aren’t on full scholarships so we work as well. The point Im making is don’t compare yourself to an athlete if you’re not one because clearly you have no idea what all it entails. When you’re an athlete it’s bigger than you. And at times in order to prepare, it may cause you to not be able to attend other games. But we do go when we can. So the next time you feel like we’re ” no more special than any other student that attends MSU,” think before you speak on it!!..

Reply
          • L

lalalaFeb 16, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I guess you must not know Ms. Reed. She’s probably the busiest person I have EVER met. She is involved in lots of organizations as well as being an AHD and working for the Wichitan. Try being an RA and being as involved as her, much less being and AHD. Yea, athletes are busy and hardworking, but so are MANY other students. I’m sorry that you read this article as a “who’s better” competition but it isn’t. It simply is an article written describing one’s feelings about how they were treated at the game.

• A

A wonderfully school spirited student.Feb 16, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Mrs. Halvorsen, it’s a spoonerism. Which happens to be a literary term. Therefore, it is not “twisted abuse of the English language.” I just thought this was worth noting. Last time I checked, spoonerisms were allowed in all forms of literature.
      Sincerely,
      A wonderfully school spirited student.

Reply
    • AnonymousFeb 16, 2012 at 10:09 PM

lol she spelled grammar wrong. dumb.

Reply
Activate Search
Students kept from showing school spirit