Prairie Dogs On Campus

[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/174080034″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]

Midwestern State University President Jesse Rogers describes watching an old on-campus prairie dog town from his chemistry lab window.

Rogers got his Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1963. He got his doctorate from Texas Christian University in chemistry in 1967, writing his dissertation on Electron Spin Resonance of Anion π – Radicals.

According to his resume:

“Immediately following the completion of my Ph.D. at Texas Christian University, I came to Midwestern State University as an assistant professor of chemistry. My principal assignment was to teach general inorganic chemistry and physical chemistry. Additionally, I taught organic chemistry and physics as needed. Since that time, and until the 2001-2002 school year, I have taught a basic or advanced course every long semester in addition to my administrative assignments.

“I was awarded a major Robert A. Welch Foundation research grant and smaller research grants every year from 1968 until 1985. My research in the general area of organic and inorganic electrochemistry was conducted with teams of undergraduate students. The majority of these people now hold M.D. or Ph.D. degrees.

“For my teaching and research efforts, I was named Hardin Professor in 1972.”

Next Episode: The Hydrogen Bomb

Previous Episode: Remembering Walt Dalquest, part 2

first bank banner